1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with the feed that is pecked to powder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Newwell, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 - 3 week old chicks that are eating Purina Starter. My concern is that they peck at it so much that it turns to powder. What do I do with all of the powder? It seems like a waste of good food. They only want the bigger pieces. [​IMG]

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I read in another post to take the powder and mix it with warm water to make a mash. Apparently the chicks really love this - I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for it but it sounds like it makes a lot of sense.
    Good luck!

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    We feed scraps and pumpkins and such in those flexible black bowls. I gather the powder out of the feeder and put it on the greens and pumpkins and stuff so they have to eat it.

I have also read about the mash thing too. Either one or both would work. And if all else fails you can always compost it or sprinkle it on the garden.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    My chooks free range, they peck their food to BITS [​IMG]
    Generally, as we can't pick the little gritty pieces back off the ground, we leave 'em there and the smaller birds we get around here eat them up [​IMG]
    Either that, or it's the insects... I like to think it's the birds. [​IMG]

5. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I'm thinking on taking that powder, treat it like flour to make some chicken cookies of some sorts, with the addition of some nuts and such. Anything but throw it out [​IMG]

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Someone had posted about mixing the powder from the crumbles in with scrambled eggs. So I started doing this with their scrambled eggs and they love it.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Anytime you have powder, either in the bottom of the feeder, or bottom of the crumbles bag, you can use it. It doesn't need to go to waste. Add a little water moisture and stir. It "re-constitutues" very well. Or, stir in some moist table food.

Once in awhile you simply get a bag of commercial feed that is mostly dust. Of course, local feed mills mainly grind mash that comes as a "flour". Anything that is moist will re-constitute the flour/dust into a very edible form.

8. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Aha!! Never thought of just adding water...so after reading these posts, went outside, scooped up some of the powder *I* had been wondering what to do with, added water, stirred...the girls went nuts with it. Cool. : )

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

10. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thank you, thank you. I had read about taking mash and mixing it with a little water to reconstitute on this forum, but didn't know if you could do it with Start & Grow. Hey, we'll give it a shot. Like was suggested, I could also mix it with scrambled eggs their all time favorite. I have to check for fingers after they get done, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by