What to do with them for the last 3 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterFarmer, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    Alright... a bit of an update I guess.... I built a homemade incubator a few weeks back and set 13 eggs. April 18th is the expected hatch date. I candled a few on the 10th and could see a dark body moving around in there so they're developing!

Right now they're just sitting on a wire grate. Each time I turn them I position them so they're sitting with the small end pointed down as much as possible, but they're not too far off from horizontal.

For the last 3 days (after I'm done turning) would I be better off to put them in an egg carton or something so the small end is pointed more downwards, or will they be just fine left on the grate?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    They are actually better outside the egg cartons. I usually put a towel down under the eggs to prevent rolling during the hatch

3. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Your going to get alot of different views on this but i have always just left them on the wire the last 3 days and had great hatches i guess i just figure the "Broody" hen always has her eggs on the side and no standing up i dont know its really your call.

Sending Hatching Vibes.

4. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    Ok, that's pretty much what I figured but I thought I'd better check!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by