What to do with this chick

mlrod1914

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Berkley, MA
We hatched some eggs for the first time in our coolerbator this past month. Out of 10 eggs we had two hatch and 3 others pip (but didn't make it). One hatched normally. The other I had to help out. This is the chick I helped. It is 8 days old. Black sex link/Swedish flower mix
It's leg was like this when it hatched. The thigh joint is backwards. I've tried "physical therapy" that was suggested: pulling gently on both legs to straighten, and putting it in a coffee cup. Neither method has done anything. As it has grown it has learned to get around better. Since the joint is malpositioned it cannot stand evenly on both feet so it hobbles around.

Is there anything I can do for it at this point to reposition the joint?

The chick. This is the bad leg

Awwwwwww, what a sweet little trooper :)!!! I feel so bad for her... I tried looking it up too, I found this thread where someone took their chick with a similar problem to the vet - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/395540/chick-with-badly-twisted-leg-suggestions-pics-and-video

maybe you could call a vet and see how much they would charge to check out their leg and see if they can easily "pop" it back in, if that's the case?

It would be a real shame if her leg could be fixed by an expert instead of fusing that way... You're great for posting this for help and if anybody knows about a tight budget it's me (ahhhh) lol but I have to urge you, if possible, to have her seen by a vet, possibly avian vet? :D

Back
Top Bottom