What to do with this litter?

just wanted to post because my 3 babies are almost 2 mo old. we kept them in a trixie cage on our pool table....husband was not happy but he loves these three darlings.. we also bought the two level cage for them and all has been just fine...it never rains in Nevada, well it did and I tried and tried to keep them dry. shavings are very heavy when wet and the garbage men will not be happy with me on Monday, I will change again today and have them locked up in the upper part with food and water while I clean and let dry. my question is does the wetness hurt them....does it breed infection.....it will dry up by this afternoon and i am doing all i can.. i cant lose them and if anyone has any suggestions for me it will be so appreciated...by the way, first time chicken owners.

Everything that I have read says to keep their litter dry. To clean up any wet spots immediately. It does breed bacteria and other stuff that isn't good for them. I don't know all the details but its what I have read. Good luck.

Although, if they are fully feathered then maybe its ok. I really have no idea. I'm not even sure what a Trixie cage is. Sorry.

Wet litter means moist growing media for cocci and bacteria. Warm weather following the rain exacerbates the problem. I don't know what you mean by "Trixie cage" either but I gather they are outdoors in some sort of cage and it either has no roof or it was windy enough to blow rain in the sides? Does your cage have a plastic bin at the bottom that can fill with water?

I'd change the litter ASAP and check for wet feed. If the food gets wet, it can mold in just a couple days and grain molds can be toxic. If you will keep them in cages as their permanent home, you'll need to come up with better rain protection. Even a cheap tarp can make the difference between dry, happy chickens and soggy, sickly chickens.

A trixie cage is just a brand of animal cages. You've got to keep them dry and out of drafts, but with good ventilation. Which kind of Trixie cage do you have? A tarp to keep them dry and shaded would be a good start. Air movement is good, but most young animals can't take too much of it. It might work to block whichever side gets the most wind.... it would give them somewhere to retreat if it gets to be too much. I'm totally unfamiliar with Nevada weather, so adapt this to your situation.

Also, be sure they are safe. Predators can reach through bars of cages or gaps in walls and grab a chicken.

Of course I have put all sorts of things in this mini van that most people wouldn't so I guess hay bales are the least of my worries.
idunno.gif
lau.gif

I am also a mini van mom that has a wide variety of things that have gone in the back. We have thrown in a variety of items for the animals and the kids. My husband races and a multitude of race car parts or tires have been stacked in there. I stacked 3000 books that I publish in the back of my mini van once. It's amazing what a mini van can hold.

Any time anyone in the house needs anything it's in the van. Mom, are we out of dog food? No it's in the van. Mom, I think we are out of toilet paper. No it's in the van. Lol!

Now that I have chickens, that's where the chicken food, pine shavings, sand and all other necessities will be found.

? how much shavings do you think they can eat and be ok?

Mine are been on sand since 2 weeks old, now one year.  Continued sand in run and coop and tried pine shavings in the nest boxes, but they ate it.  I mean  they ate it like it was quite a treat. I have camera in coop and they looked like it was a pine shaving feast.   Made me so nervous, I removed it from the nests and changed to sand.  But I really wanted a softer sit for egg laying.  Tried shredded newspaper and they ate it too.  I would like to try the shavings again.  
we don't put anything in the coop. We have a shed with a dirt floor attached to a dog run covered with wire.

lau.gif

I am also a mini van mom that has a wide variety of things that have gone in the back. We have thrown in a variety of items for the animals and the kids. My husband races and a multitude of race car parts or tires have been stacked in there. I stacked 3000 books that I publish in the back of my mini van once. It's amazing what a mini van can hold.

Any time anyone in the house needs anything it's in the van. Mom, are we out of dog food? No it's in the van. Mom, I think we are out of toilet paper. No it's in the van. Lol!

Now that I have chickens, that's where the chicken food, pine shavings, sand and all other necessities will be found.
HAHAHAHA! Exactly. We run a LARGE Homeschool co op and it is often our job to transport all sorts of things. Including haybales, dirt, buckets of shaving cream ect. Chickens,dogs,turtles and ducks have all been privy to rides on the car as well. Glad I am not the only one.
lau.gif
goodpost.gif

I've always just used newspaper with shredded paper in a box on it's side for them to next in and a feather duster hanging down for them to nest under. They usually sleep under the duster at night but will go into the box during the day for a nap. I've always raised mine in the house. I pull all the paper out when it gets soiled and replace it. Never had a problem with smell unless I let the paper go longer than a couple of days.

There are a couple of things I've learned in my very short time keeping a flock:

(1) Don't use newspaper around your chicks/chickens. The newsprint (ink) is not good for them and they can't get traction on newspaper, and

(2) Sand is plentiful everywhere, but you have to call a construction company, or garden center, or a trucking company and ask them to bring you WASHED construction sand. You might as well have them bring you a truck load if you plan on using sand in your runs because you'll eventually use that much any way.

Just my two cents worth. :)
Newspaper is all I use raising my chicks. The newsprint is not dangerous, it's all vegetable based. No publications use India ink which is poisonous. They have no problem with traction. Maybe if you used the slick paper like some of the ads are printed on they might have trouble with traction. I've never used anything in my coop except wheat straw and it has worked great so far.

Back
Top Bottom