What to do with umpteen dozen eggs LOL

Donate! And if you have a friend who has some down in the heels in-laws or cousins, put your friend in charge of distributing them. Last November & December, we were getting about 18 eggs a day. I started giving them to a janitor I know. The janitor would take five or six dozen a week. I loved hearing the stories of how the janitor's brother gave a couple dozen to a lady w/5 kids or how the janitor's sister made raisin bread for the church supper.

When I was a kid my grandmother would take the juice from a can of beats and that is the pink stuff she would put her boiled eggs in. Do peel them first. Don't know if this is the pink eggs you are talking about, but that is what she did. Me, I won't touch the stuff. I do want that custard recipie though!

I begged her for the recipe last night in a PM.
So she won't have to do it again, I cut and pasted.
I hope she won't mind.

I used a vlassic pickle jar.. the thing is HUGE..lol I had nothing to do with about 3 doz silkie eggs so I split them 18 were normal pickled eggs, and the other half pink ones....

heres the link

http://www.eggs.ca/EggRecipes/Recipe.aspx?id=201

I c/c/p incase the link did not work

1 cup beet juice*
1 cup vinegar
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp pickling spice
½ tsp salt
1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
12 hard-cooked eggs, peeled

In a medium saucepan, combine beet juice, vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spice, salt and onion. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly just until the sugar dissolves; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Strain and cool at room temperature. In a large glass jar or container, pour beet juice mixture over whole hard-cooked eggs. Cover and marinate 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator before serving.

*1 can (19 oz/540 mL) beets, drained, yields 1 cup (250 mL) beet juice.

Tip

Once a jar of pickled eggs has been opened, keep refrigerated for up to 30 days. Keep a supply of pickled eggs in your refrigerator for a quick snack.

My notes*** i found by using the pickling spice they did not take on the flavour very well... my dad suggested to use the juice from the pickles next time and add the beet juice to the real pickles juice

I just use the leftover pickle juice & add some onions & peppers. A few days in the fridge & ya got pickled eggs.

23095_bread_braid.jpg

Last edited:
Be charitable.

Head down the road, knock on doors and give them away... then tell them where you live and how much they are a dozen if they want more... put your phone # on the cartons...
the possibilities are endless.

Back
Top Bottom