What to do with unintended cockerels?

If you're attached to them and you've named them (both of which you've mentioned are true), then processing them yourself can be really difficult. When the next 23 hatch, hold off naming them until you know who you are keeping and who is going.

Before putting ay cockerels on Craigslist, I'd recommend talking to your local poultry groups to see if any members can recommend someone who will take and process them humanely. Or maybe the staff at your local feed store or hatchery. Better to find someone reputable within those groups as opposed to a random person online.

Yeah lesson learned, I've had chicks years ago and guess got super lucky as there were are girls , this time around I was just so happy to be getting some agian after like 6 years of not having any

Culling is not hard. There are some good videos on doing it. Prepping the bird to eat is harder but still easily done once you are comfortable with it. As above, roosters and kids is a bad mix. Free on Craigslist is a good bet. Put up a note at your local feed store and other places. It's also a good idea not to name food. :) Maybe give them food names like pizza, fricassee, KFC, crock pot ... (I know people who do this). Cockerels happen. I have 24 blue/black/splash ameracaunas in an incubator now. I can only hope that more than half of them will be girls. I have 20 ayam cemani chicks that are still growing out. When I figure out who the roos are, I'll be having a first taste of the magic chicken.

I always keep one roo per year, but sounds like these guys are destined for freezer camp. Either by you or more likely by whoever buys them. Just about every rooster dies by being eaten, either by predators or by humans.

Back
Top Bottom