What to do with unwanted cockerls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsgibber, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I am getting baby chicks and want only hens. I know going straight run means I'll end up with some roosters. I'm only getting 8 chicks so I can hopefully end up with 5 - 6 hens. How hard is it to find homes for unwanted roosters? I am in a residential neighborhood and don't think the crowing would be appreciated. [​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have always had really good luck with Craigslist. I had two roosters last year and one this year already and two of them found homes using Craigslist. The other one went to a BYC member in my area through a posting I put on here.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    I agree use BYC or craiglist.. or if you have a local flea market that allows aniamls to be sold there, you could sell them there.. thats what I do

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I got my latest roo from the local Craig's List. Keep in mind though, that they may be well grown before you find homes, and they will be crowing before that!

Is there any way you can get just pullets instead of straight run? Years ago, I got 4 straight run, and ended up with 4 roosters! I couldn't sell them until they were full grown and gorgeous, which meant a very noisy bunch for a long time! And I had to separate them, to prevent fighting.

5. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Yikes, I was afraid of that. Straight run is a real gamble for me. [​IMG]

6. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:I am not sure why you just dont purchase pullets. It makes life simpler.

7. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

SOUP [​IMG]
    yum

8. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Craigslist! I usually get rid of them the same day as posted!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    What you could do with them is give them a nice home for about 11 weeks or so and then take them to the butcher for dinners [​IMG]

10. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Another vote for CL. I also have posted on the message board at the local Agway and that's worked for me.

Glad to see you're taking the plunge again. Good luck with this batch! [​IMG]:clap

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by