What to do with unwanted cockerls

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
I am getting baby chicks and want only hens. I know going straight run means I'll end up with some roosters. I'm only getting 8 chicks so I can hopefully end up with 5 - 6 hens. How hard is it to find homes for unwanted roosters? I am in a residential neighborhood and don't think the crowing would be appreciated.

Thoughts?

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
I have always had really good luck with Craigslist. I had two roosters last year and one this year already and two of them found homes using Craigslist. The other one went to a BYC member in my area through a posting I put on here.

Good luck

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
I got my latest roo from the local Craig's List. Keep in mind though, that they may be well grown before you find homes, and they will be crowing before that!

Is there any way you can get just pullets instead of straight run? Years ago, I got 4 straight run, and ended up with 4 roosters! I couldn't sell them until they were full grown and gorgeous, which meant a very noisy bunch for a long time! And I had to separate them, to prevent fighting.

Ellie_NY_chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Another vote for CL. I also have posted on the message board at the local Agway and that's worked for me.

Glad to see you're taking the plunge again. Good luck with this batch!
:clap

Top Bottom