What to do with unwanted egg? HELP!!

This might be a dumb question but I am new. What would happen if you take the chicks away from the hen? Would she sit on the last egg?
I'm not really sure, but I think she will probably just get upset and want her babies back!
hmm.png

It would be nice if you could put it under her at night , but she might just turf it out. I have had hens come in and lay next to broody. Soon as she sees another egg, she says " that's mine " and pulls it in with the others. Could you look for a cheap little table top incubator ? Post an ad on your local poultry site? Find someone in your neighborhood with a broody.

OK - here's what happens with broody hens. They will sit on their eggs until they hatch. They wait a day or two after hatching before taking the babies off the nest. They instinctively know that any that haven't hatched by then aren't going to. She had no idea that egg was set late. Now that she's off the nest, she is not going to want to sit on that egg if you take her babies away. She is out of broody mode, and into raising her babies mode. It's too late to put it back under her. This chicken-keeping thing is an ongoing learning experience. Some lessons are harder than others. If you can get the chick to hatch, you can try slipping it under her at night. I don't know that chickens can count.

Back
Top Bottom