What to do with wasted innards?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by beak, Feb 4, 2009.

1. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We've raised chickens for eggs for a few years. Never butchered any though. Wondering what to do with the intestines and all the stuff you don't want. I don't want to bury it because of predators. A 55 gallon drum might get a little stinky. What do you peoples do?

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Wrap em up in a few plastic bags and throw em in the garbage.

3. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Throw them in a dumpster to deter dumpster diving. Stupid me, didn't think of that. Just butcher a day or 2 before trash day.

Thanks

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Burn barrel. I build a good wood fire before I start processing, then throw them in as I go. I was worried before I tried it, but NO smell, NO smoke, it works perfectly. I've put whole chickens and piles of feathers in there with no negative results. It's the only way to go for me.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    My ghoulish layers flock around the table while we process, hoping to be the first to grab the organs that get tossed to them. But I don't give them the intestines, feet, heads or feathers. They go in a plastic garbage bag & get put out the next collection day. We have pickup 2X a week so they don't have a lot of time to get really stinky.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

dumpster. (If you don't have one yourself, just find one [​IMG] J/K)

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    When I bleed out the birds it goes into a bucket, the liver/heart/gizzard goes into the bucket, I then put them in a freezer bag and freeze. Then I use them for fishing bait whenever I need it. I catch a bunch of fish too!!! hehehe.

AL

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Compost it if you can. You can use it on the garden or sell the compost when it breaks down.

If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle then I would just throw it away too.

The only thing we do not use are the feathers and intestines so we just compost them in the back of the property. Sure raccoons and such get into it but it's far enough away from everything that it doesn't pose a problem.

9. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I give them to the neighbors they feed them to their sled dogs.

10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have never read anyone say to use meat products in their compost pile. NEVER! Either you get rodents or disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by