What to do with wasted innards?

beak

On vacation
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
Kiowa, Colorado
We've raised chickens for eggs for a few years. Never butchered any though. Wondering what to do with the intestines and all the stuff you don't want. I don't want to bury it because of predators. A 55 gallon drum might get a little stinky. What do you peoples do?

Throw them in a dumpster to deter dumpster diving. Stupid me, didn't think of that. Just butcher a day or 2 before trash day.

Thanks

Burn barrel. I build a good wood fire before I start processing, then throw them in as I go. I was worried before I tried it, but NO smell, NO smoke, it works perfectly. I've put whole chickens and piles of feathers in there with no negative results. It's the only way to go for me.

My ghoulish layers flock around the table while we process, hoping to be the first to grab the organs that get tossed to them. But I don't give them the intestines, feet, heads or feathers. They go in a plastic garbage bag & get put out the next collection day. We have pickup 2X a week so they don't have a lot of time to get really stinky.

dumpster. (If you don't have one yourself, just find one
tongue.png
J/K)

When I bleed out the birds it goes into a bucket, the liver/heart/gizzard goes into the bucket, I then put them in a freezer bag and freeze. Then I use them for fishing bait whenever I need it. I catch a bunch of fish too!!! hehehe.

AL

Compost it if you can. You can use it on the garden or sell the compost when it breaks down.

If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle then I would just throw it away too.

The only thing we do not use are the feathers and intestines so we just compost them in the back of the property. Sure raccoons and such get into it but it's far enough away from everything that it doesn't pose a problem.

Back
Top Bottom