What to do with wasted innards?

I can't believe they are that thick where you are. Do you and your neighbors kill a lot or just a few?

Here we just grab a case of whatever, a .22, and a spotlight. We do this maybe twice a year and it keeps the population down to only the smart ones. As long as we keep them in check they don't seem to bother our livestock. It's when we let them go for a couple of years they seem to eat themselves into a craze and go after easier prey such as lambs and such.

We use a rabbit call that seems to help and a couple of people put out leg traps, they usually only get the stupid ones that don't pay attention. The smart ones will stay clear of the leg traps.

On a windy night try using a skinned raccoon and hang it about 6 feet in the air..... they will smell it for miles and your .308 should pick them off a ways away....

That really sucks but I know what you mean about the holes in the ground. We have ground hogs here... they do the same thing. Horse farmers here will pay $15.00 a ground hog if you shoot one on their farm. A horse with a broken leg is not good.

Jeff, I kill on average about 9 a year on my 20 acres. I only shoot during the daylight hours due to the horses and neighbors livestock. We hear community sings every evening and before sunrise every night. There will be from a half dozen to over 20 in stereo all around us depending on how many are in the area that night. There is a centuries old Oak tree just off my property line on an absentee owners' 20 acres. I shot one lactating female there last spring. When I whent to retrieve her, I found a den there with 7 pups with their eyes still closed. My neighbors all around me about the same. One of my neighbors that raises sheep, kills then hangs the carcases on the fences and that seems to keep many others away. I give him the ones that I shoot and hang a few on my fences too. The crows and ravens have a field day devouring them. Another cattle rancher neighbor just a mile away from me owns 5000 acres of range land and 400 cows+ calves with elevations of 500' (with a 100ft wide creek with lots of cottonwoods to 2500' with many rock outcroppings and dotted with hundreds of oak trees). He and 2 ranch hands shoot up to 30 a year. Most of the killed ones are young, inexperienced, sick, very old, and dumb ones, the smart ones hunt at night and reproduce like crazy.

Wow that's nuts, they must be eating something other than your guy's livestock to be reproducing that fast. Good environment for them to live in I guess. 7 pups in one den is a lot. Around here they only have about 4-5 and only about 2-3 make it to adulthood.

Good luck with that.

they eat everything but the kitchen sink and ground squirrels. We have tons of many types of mice, gophers, moles, voles, crickets and many other bugs, not to mention field crops, grapes, and many types of fruit orchards in the thausands of acres, and wild berries and grasses. They are VERY bad on the drip irrigation lines... they learned to chew the lines to get a higher water flow for a drink. Since water is very expenssive, and very scarce now , the farmers have turned to drip and they now too have joined forces to kill the coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom