What to do?

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hey y’all, I have set 3 eggs and one has hatched and the other two are still in their egg. I was going to FaceTime a friend when I looked in my Incubator and one of the chicks in the egg was open! It’s not out all the way, but there’s some blood. What she I do? It’s day 22.

image.jpg

Because the blood vessels (and maybe the yolk) are still being absorbed, I would put it back in the incubator and give it some more time. Make sure to keep the humidity up/maybe wrap it in a damp paper towel because there’s a risk the membrane will dry out now. If, in a few hours, it looks like the membrane is dry or the chick is struggling you may want to make a sort of zip line along the air cell end of the egg so the chick can kick off and hatch when it’s ready

Do you know when it pipped initially? Approximately how long ago?

The blood has dried and it doesn't look like it's actively bleeding. The membrane does look like it's dried to it's down so it probably won't be able to hatch on it's own at this point.

Don't put it into anything wet, it'll make it cold. But maybe put Vaseline on the exposed membrane.

Knowing approximately how long ago it pipped will give an estimated timing on when you are able to help without killing it. If you have no idea, then start a 24 hour timer from when you saw it opened, and help once that time is done.

Because the blood vessels (and maybe the yolk) are still being absorbed, I would put it back in the incubator and give it some more time. Make sure to keep the humidity up/maybe wrap it in a damp paper towel because there’s a risk the membrane will dry out now. If, in a few hours, it looks like the membrane is dry or the chick is struggling you may want to make a sort of zip line along the air cell end of the egg so the chick can kick off and hatch when it’s ready
Ok. (S) he does seen to want out.

Do you know when it pipped initially? Approximately how long ago?

The blood has dried and it doesn't look like it's actively bleeding. The membrane does look like it's dried to it's down so it probably won't be able to hatch on it's own at this point.

Don't put it into anything wet, it'll make it cold. But maybe put Vaseline on the exposed membrane.

Knowing approximately how long ago it pipped will give an estimated timing on when you are able to help without killing it. If you have no idea, then start a 24 hour timer from when you saw it opened, and help once that time is done.
Ok. It was this morning! When I woke up.

Ok. It was this morning! When I woke up.
You should be waiting until at least tomorrow morning then. Cause it takes 24 hours from when they pip externally to when they hatch.

Some chicks do hatch sooner, but for assisting definitely wait until it's 24 hours past when you saw the pip. It's better to wait, than to help and feel responsible when it isn't ready.

If you have not already read this article, it will help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/
Go very slowly, stop if you see any veins. If the chick is able to push off the last of the shell on its own, better for its feet and leg strength. I disagree with the damp paper towel. You can throw it in the incubator to drive up the humidity from opening the incubator, but do not let it touch the eggs, it can actually chill them. Good luck!😊

Back
Top Bottom