What To Do

Booswalia

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Prince Edward Island, CAN
Hi,
I would like to know how people go about increasing the size of their small/tiny flock.

Right now I have 2 Delawares which I want to keep and 1 White Rock which I would like to take to someone to have... well, you know. I would also like to get 2 more laying hens but I've been told that it's very difficult to introduce new hens to old ones. So, what about getting a couple of fertile eggs in the spring? Will they raise their own chicks or will they kill them too?

Any suggestions?

Your Delawares will only raise their own chicks if they go broody... and if you hatch them or buy them as chicks, you have to wait until they are at least 16 weeks old to introduce them to the older girls.

What? Has the White Rock quit laying?

Remember that if you hatch your own chicks, roughly half will be roosters. Eliminating roosters is a problem for many.

So keep your white rock for a permanent broody each year, and take any roosters born (after they've filled out) to whomever was going to process your white rock. Either you or "they" get meat from the deal, and you end up with a yearly influx of new layers. Or you might end up with a good roo and want to keep one to fertilize your hens' own eggs instead of buying fert. eggs... If you freerange, it's much easier to introduce newbies, whether they're your own chicks or pullets brought in.

That's a thought. They don't actually free range, but they have a very large yard. Large for three hens at least.
My coop is limited in size so I don't think I could keep more than a couple, but that might just work.
Thanks. Food, or should I say chicken, for thought.

Back
Top Bottom