What To Do

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Booswalia, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    I would like to know how people go about increasing the size of their small/tiny flock.

Right now I have 2 Delawares which I want to keep and 1 White Rock which I would like to take to someone to have... well, you know. I would also like to get 2 more laying hens but I've been told that it's very difficult to introduce new hens to old ones. So, what about getting a couple of fertile eggs in the spring? Will they raise their own chicks or will they kill them too?

Any suggestions?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your Delawares will only raise their own chicks if they go broody... and if you hatch them or buy them as chicks, you have to wait until they are at least 16 weeks old to introduce them to the older girls.

What? Has the White Rock quit laying?

3. Booswalia

The White Rock has never been a good layer. She went broody on me a couple of times and has only laid about a dozen eggs in over a year.

4. Booswalia

Maybe I just answered my own question. Perhaps I should keep the White Rock and let her go broody again. At which time I could get a couple of fertile eggs from someone.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That sounds like a great plan!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remember that if you hatch your own chicks, roughly half will be roosters. Eliminating roosters is a problem for many.

8. Booswalia

Sheeeze... nothing is ever easy.

Thanks for the info.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So keep your white rock for a permanent broody each year, and take any roosters born (after they've filled out) to whomever was going to process your white rock. Either you or "they" get meat from the deal, and you end up with a yearly influx of new layers. Or you might end up with a good roo and want to keep one to fertilize your hens' own eggs instead of buying fert. eggs... If you freerange, it's much easier to introduce newbies, whether they're your own chicks or pullets brought in.

10. Booswalia

That's a thought. They don't actually free range, but they have a very large yard. Large for three hens at least.
    My coop is limited in size so I don't think I could keep more than a couple, but that might just work.
    Thanks. Food, or should I say chicken, for thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by