WHAT TO DO????

CCchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Australia
We have a beautiful big Dorking rooster......but unfortunately our neighbours don't share our view of him.
To them he is just an annoying pest. So we've done everything right....got a rooster permit, even went to the extent of building a small, low cage to keep him in at night so that he can't stretch out and crow....
One problem though....our clever rooster can still crow. What should we do???? We have had the coucil knocking on our door twice now because the neighbours still think he wakes them up at 3 am. We didn't believe this, but we just heard him crow at about 5 am. We can't make his bedroom any smaller or we'll be up for animal cruelty....
Is there anything else we can do to keep him quiet or quieter???

That's really about your only option, to keep him put up somewhere like a garage or indoors where his crowing cannot disturb the neighbors.

I'm just curious though? You mentioned you had a rooster permit....and yet the neighbors and the council can still hassle you about the rooster?

If you have a permit then they can't do a thing about it. I wouldn't lock him up or create an unhappy living environment for him for just doing what roosters do. Sorry but I don't believe in changing my home for the comfort of others.........probably why I'm in the country with no neighbors
lol.png

I wish i was in the country with less neighbours!!!!....
Yes, we do have a permit...but here we only get to keep that permit as long as we make sure the rooster doesn't disturb the neighbours...(so the point of the permit is ...???...
idunno.gif
)
The cage we put him in is actually reasonably dark....and as the cage is in the coop, the sound is quite muffled. Apparently its waking the neighbours though (although it doesn't wake anyone in our house and the coop is closer to us than the neighbours).
Probably a dumb question but is there such thing as a quieter type of rooster???

We have a beautiful big Dorking rooster......but unfortunately our neighbours don't share our view of him. To them he is just an annoying pest. So we've done everything right....got a rooster permit, even went to the extent of building a small, low cage to keep him in at night so that he can't stretch out and crow.... One problem though....our clever rooster can still crow. What should we do???? We have had the coucil knocking on our door twice now because the neighbours still think he wakes them up at 3 am. We didn't believe this, but we just heard him crow at about 5 am. We can't make his bedroom any smaller or we'll be up for animal cruelty.... Is there anything else we can do to keep him quiet or quieter???
Give those neighbors some eggs and introduce them

Sure you don't live near us lol. We had exact same problem and to this day do not believe he was really waking them. I can't believe we would not have heard him too being closer.

Can you video with a time stamp to prove he isn't crowing at 3 am to prove they are lying about him waking them?

My only other thoughts are set somewhere up for him at night that you can put your night box that is as far from them as possible. Or put in his box in your garage.

Its hard because authorities will believe them even without proof.

Last edited:
If they say he is crowing at 3am then get up at 230am and video tape both the rooster and your neighbors house. Do this for a week. No crowing and you proved your rooster is innocent, and watch the neighbors to see if they are even up. Heck i would ding dong ditch them at the time they say the rooster is crowing after I had proof he wasn't just to show them what its like to be woken up at that hour. But then I don't play nice with someone who lies.

Back
Top Bottom