What to do!?!

rocknchickenfam

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Ohio
I need all the help I can get! I am new to chickens, I had a broody hatch out babies 9 weeks ago. She did a GREAT job protecting them and raising them. It was wonderful to watch and she is my nicest hen. I currently have 6 laying hens including the mother. She has begun the weaning process, which I have read about. Here's my problem... she is being crazy vicious! When she starts the craziness this then allows the other hens to pick on them. The babies aren't allowed to eat, drink, be on the run floor (they roost on a branch in the run), and they are not allowed to roost in the coop at night. So if I don't allow them to free range then they do not eat or drink. They stay on the branch out in the run at night. I have been physically taking them in the coop at night and placing them on the roost, which the mom is coming over and pecking them which makes all the hens peck. I understand pecking order and weaning but is this crazy? The babies can't even move, eat or drink. They are so scared to do anything. Free ranging is better but not perfect and I don't have the time to watch them all day. Any suggestions?

i typically put mine in a grow out pen until they are close to the same size as the others. it doesnt have to be anything special, just make sure the wind is blocked off of them, and it keeps them dry.

Thank you! I was pondering that idea... was hoping since they were so use to their current setup there was something else I could do to keep them all together. You are probably right though I appreciate your response:)

Does anyone know a way to keep them all together or as loveourbirds suggested am I going to have to put them in a grower pen.

Momma's want to protect their chicks and the other hens will peck at them so that might explain her behavior towards anyone that she feels is a threat.

Caroline

Her sole targets are her babies... she even goes out of her way to kick the feathers out of them. I understand protecting but she doesn't seem like that is on her mind anymore

We have six Plymouth Rocks of laying age and three 9 week chicks. The coop is 4x6 with two roosts. The run is 6x14 with three roosts

I'm not saying it's your problem but I had 6 adults in a 8x10 run(4 sq ft smaller than yours) and had aggression problems and had to thin the flock to stop them picking on each other. Coop is 4x4.

Ok I see your point... it seems to be easing up just a tiny bit. I guess I will keep an eye on it, give it some more time and hope it might just be a crazy weaning process... if it doesn't change though then I have your guy's help... THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Back
Top Bottom