What to feed a broody if I let her just do it.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamabigbird, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My EE "Matilda" has started laying again after more than 6 months in retirement.
    She is about 5 or more years old and has gone broody every year since I've had her.
    Her previous owner said she was a really good mom and raised a few batches.
    We don't own a rooster but can get fertile eggs.

If she goes broody and we move her to a broody pen and give her some eggs, what do I feed her?
    Is regular layer feed okay? And when the babies hatch what do I feed the babies? Chick starter crumbles?
    Would Matilda show them the food and would she eat the chick starter too?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    If she goes broody, I see no reason you couldn't put some fertilised eggs under her. When I had a broody hatching eggs, she had layers pellets. Once the chicks were born, she had chick crumb (plus, the first two days I gave mashed boiled egg).

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping she does go broody. I'd love to watch her with little fluffy butts to fuss over.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Feed her regular feed. When the babies hatch, put out chick starter - it won't hurt the hen to eat it, she's not laying anyway. Just make sure all feeders/waterers are at chick level and she'll do everything else.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The other option, if you do not separate her from the flock (or if you do, when you integrate) is to feed everyone an all-flock feed until the chicks reach laying age while offering oyster shell in a separate hopper for the laying hens. Lots of folks go that route.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by