What to feed a duckling?

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
OK, some of you may know, I have 9 duck eggs in the bator due to momma duck, Mo, dissapeared. These little ones are pipping...and I have called ALL over a 50 mile radius...there is NO unmedicated feed! Everyone I talked to said they dont get it in...because you NEED it. I said, no....not for baby ducks....then they said, Oh, well, just give them cracked corn! Im sure I had the most dumfounded look on my face.....They need more than corn! Now what do I do?? They will be hatching any day now, and there is no feed. Purina makes a layer crumble...very low calcium...no meds. Can I use that? Ohhh, I need help!

Deb I had the same problem we had to travel 70 miles to get feed. All I could find was Dumor chick starter grower from Tractor Supply it is unmedicated and says its for chicks, ducklings, goslings and turkeys. I'm feeding it to my ducklings and goslings and they are three weeks old and doing great. Micki
PS you can also check Mazuri Wildbird feed online they give you suppliers but I found that they were vry expensive wanted over 26.00 for a 25 pound bag.

My feed store recommended grower mash. It's called Grower-Cal by Blue Seal.
Have had no problems feeding it...other then ducks are extremely messy!!!

I was thinking....when my momma Muscovy hatched out her babies....they were free runners. I didnt get to put any "baby feed" out for them. They ate the corn that was out for the bigger ducks...and whatever they found in the grass. I know I wont have "momma" but if I can get them some cracked corn...and maybe add egg yolks.? I jsut dont know. Guess I have a few days to figure it out yet. They are still pipping...LOL Maybe tomorrow I will make a road trip to Indy. UGH! just over an hr and a half away. Better get a few bags if I go. LOL

I ran into a similar problem. So far the best I have found is a high protein Laying mesh. I am still looking for something better. I have felt misinformed when people try to tell me that ducks will eat the med chic starter. I tell them that it is not good for them. Corn is too low a protein. If you have to get by with it, that is different. Good luck finding what you are comfortable with!
wee.gif

Try Purina Start & Grow for your ducklings. It says it's medicated, but it contains amprolium which is a coccidiosis preventative not really a medication even tho that's what the bag calls it. I've always used it for my ducklings. It was recommended to me by a woman who's been raising ducks for many years.

If you have a Purina dealer... You can get Flock Raiser from them. It is for turkey, ducks, geese and is not medicated... I fed some ducks chick starter when I did not know and killed one..... Learned my lesson...
Maybe you could also feed them a Game Bird Starter that is NOT medicated.. Some are and some are not medicated.. LOOK at the bag before you buy. Most game bird feeds are higher protien. Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom