what to feed baby ducklings.I DESPERATELY NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Taylor, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    ok i have a duck hatching a few days early and i have no feed for them yet what can i feed them until saturday?????? can i feed them plain chick starter that is medicated???????? i'm in a desparate need of help

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i feed all of mine chick starter. medicated with amprolium. all other meds are not good for duckies. amprolium only. check your feed bag label.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    scrambled eggs are good,
    i have a lone duck too, it came from my scovey duck nest, and here i thought she was the only one laying in there,now i am waiting for the rest to hatch.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just feed chick starter, I grind it up in a mortar and pestle.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Do you have any other poulty feed available? How about grinding up some oatmeal? That would work in a pinch. [​IMG]

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:I do the same, Amprolium won't hurt 'em.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Ground up dry cat food and even koi fish food will work. The thing with medicated food is that ducks eat a lot and can over medicate themselves. You may mix up some of the medicated food with cat or fish food for a few days until you get the real food.
    Good luck,
    Katharina

8. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:As long as it only has Amprolium as the active ingredient it is safe for ducklings, it's what I have always fed my ducklings, and our feed store owner said it's the medicated chick starter that contains medication for things other than Coccidiosis that is dangerous in high amounts for ducklings.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    oatmeal for a day or so.

10. justin7

justin7 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    I am pretty sure it will be okay, but I figured I would ask the pros. I have been feeding my ducks and chickens the same food. Chick starter 22%. My chicks are 8 weeks old now, and my Khaki Campbell's are now 5 weeks old. I didn't even think about it until now, I just switched there food over to grower mash which has a little less protein in it. With this will it affect the ducks? Should I go and get a new bag of the chick starter? I'm hoping it won't be a big deal but I will do what ever I have to do to keep these ducks alive.

Thanks for any help,
    Justin

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by