What to feed broody malnourished, sick and weak hen to strengthen her?

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
One of my hens recently fell ill after the end of her broodiness which lasted a few weeks. She has progressively gotten worse the last week. Her legs are very weak and she has trouble standing and walking. She also has lost quite a bit of weight and is very lethargic, puffy, and not active . What should I feed her that will help gain her strength and health back? At the moment she is isolated with layer mash. I tried giving her a boiled egg yolk yesterday however she wasn't interested but she has been eating small amounts of her layer feed in the morning and evening. I am unable to give her an electrolyte drink as at the moment as I am treating her (and the rest of the flock) for possible coccidiosis through their water. Any suggestions of what to give her to get her back on track would be much appreciated. Thanks!

There must be an underlying issue. When did you last de-worm her and did you check her for lice or mites and the coop or the nest she was sitting on as well?

She might be suffering from a vitamin D deficiency, which among other symptoms leads to weakness of the legs.

When a broody stays on her nest for too long without getting up every day to exercise and stretch her muscles etc., her muscles and tendons shrink so the broody has a hard time walking if able at all after 3+ weeks.

Last edited:
There must be an underlying issue. When did you last de-worm her and did you check her for lice or mites and the coop or the nest she was sitting on as well?

I have not de-wormed my chickens yet, although I have not seen any sign of worms in her poop or the other chickens. I did check for lice and mites and found none.

I always de-worm my broodies right when the broodiness sets in, as otherwise they might just not make it until hatching day or will be too weak to heave themselves up when the chicks start to hatch..

You could give her some scrambled eggs with oatmeal, millet, grated carrots and brewer's yeast, adding calcium+vitaminD3+vitamin K. And she will need some grit.

Edit: And add the de-wormer on top or better mix it in.

You could give her some scrambled eggs with oatmeal, millet, grated carrots and brewer's yeast, adding calcium+vitaminD3+vitamin K. And she will need some grit.

Edit: And add the de-wormer on top or better mix it in.

Turns out she has an impacted crop which I'm having difficulty treating. The impacted crop explains why she won't gain any weight or strength.

Cold coconut oil cut into small pieces which most chickens will readily take, can be good to offer each day. Make sure that she is also drinking plenty of water. Then massage her crop several times daily in a downward motion. If she won’t drink, then you can try tube feeding her water. If you don’t have coconut oil, mineral oil can be added to a small portion of her feed mixed with a little water.

Back
Top Bottom