What to feed chicks?

At what age can you feed chickens normal feed and give them grass clippings and table scraps?
I give them 20% grower yet, and put out oyster shell.
But some people switch to an all flock or layer feed when they get to the point of laying.
As for the treats you mentioned, I would say three or four weeks, and then you have to offer them grit. They make small grit for chicks.

on my first incubation I had no clue about food and I raised my first chicks on wheat and layer pellets but now I know that layer pellets contain 4% calcium to provide calcium for the egg shells and chick starter crumbs only contain 1% calcium which is more suitable.
I did fine not knowing any better but get the chick crumbs if you can.
I now use chick crumb, a growers feed and then a layer feed and corn mix once they start laying eggs.
For regular chickens I've read first 6 weeks on chick crumb, 8 weeks for bantams, then the growers feed till about 5 months old.

At what age can you feed chickens normal feed and give them grass clippings and table scraps?

I don't know what you mean by "normal" feed. It could take a lot of typing to cover the possibilities so can you please help me out? What do you mean by normal?

One of the first things my broody hens do is take their chicks to a spot where they can peck at the ground. This way they get grit in their gizzards. Then they eat pretty much what she does. She might tear things into a size they can eat but a lot of what they eat is bits the chicks find on their own. If they have grit in their gizzards they can handle about anything a hen can eat as long as it is not too big.

But, and a big but, the stuff needs to be a size they can handle. Grass clippings can get tangled in their crop, grit doesn't hep that. Grit is further along in their system, in the gizzard. Other stuff can cause a problem. So keep the size really small and don't feed a lot of it.

I'm not a broody hen, I don't know close to what she automatically knows by instinct. So I keep table scraps and other stuff to a minimum while they are in the brooder. Chick Starter, Grower, and age appropriate feeds contains all they NEED to grow healthy. They don't need grass clippings, table scraps, or any other treats to stay healthy but many people like to feed them. So keep any of them to a minimum, feed treats in moderation to avoid upsetting their balanced diet that they get from their age-appropriate chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom