What to feed layer hens and rooster?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jasmer, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jasmer

jasmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    The chickens we got were always fed layer feed and we've been feeding them the same thing. However I was recently told the higher mineral levels in layer feed can damage our rooster's kidneys. Should I get grower feed or something instead and give the hens oyster shells? What do you recommend feeding a bunch of layer hens that is also rooster safe?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Well how old are your birds? are they laying? when birds are young then layer pellets can damage there kidneys! It depends how old your birds are!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    High amounts of Calcium can damage the kidneys of any age fowl that is not laying, that would include chicks, growing stock, roosters and even hens that are not laying do to molt, weather, age or illness.

I myself don't feed a layer type feed, I instead feed a game bird feed and offer oyster on the side.

Chris

4. jasmer

Oct 15, 2012
    Sorry, the flock is a big potluck of different ages. A couple of the bantams are several years old, a couple of the orpingtons and rhode island reds are just shy of one year. We inherited them from a friend who moved to Hawaii and couldn't take them, they were pets and pretty much still are.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 with Chris. I would feed a game fowl, grower or flock raiser and just give calcium on the side. No reason to feed layer to your mixed flock.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I feed mine (6 hens, 1 rooster, and 3 seven week old chicks) starter/grower and offer oyster shell free choice.

7. jasmer

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks guys, I settled on a general flock grower with a lot less calcium and am doing oyster shells on the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by