what to feed my brood hen and new chick?

chart

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2013
Chino Valley, AZ.
I'm rather expecting my brood hens' one egg to hatch out in a few days. I'm not having much luck on feed info. My chickens range all day and they always have available to them flockraiser and scratch as well as layer pellets for treats, have access to the now waning garden, compost piles and massive amounts of bugs. Needless to say, they don't go through very much feed. Will the chick be okay on the Flockraiser or should I just put out chick starter instead?

Flock raiser type foods are fine for all ages of birds, including young chicks. The only one you really have to be careful with is Layer with young birds because of the excess calcium. If the flock raiser is in crumble form, the chick should do fine with it. Good luck with the hatch.

Thanks Kelsie! I was hoping that would be good. I do plan on getting one bag of starter, but I also know the novelty of it will attract the others. They certainly aren't fussy. My friend is amazed at the variety my chickens eat, since his are pretty picky. I would guess it's because I'm a rather creative cook with diverse tastes and have been either cooking for them or feeding them (healthy) leftovers since they were a few days old. I don't make a habit of feeding them meat, but they've stolen a tuna sandwich, a small steak and a rib, among other little tidbits. And fought over them. If the chickens are out, so is a meal at the picnic table. I think they might be related to pigs...

Well, chickens ARE omnivorous, which means animal protein is good for them.

FlockRaiser is perfectly fine in crumble form. Now, I don't use Purina products, but FlockRaiser is the same sort of feed as Nutrena All Flock, which I use. All Flock is pelletized, so I scoop out the smaller bits at the bottom of the feeders when I have a broody hen with chicks. I am thrifty that way.

Occasionally, during confinement before eggs hatch, I will treat a broody hen with the "shredded bits in gravy" type canned cat food, because they eat so little when they are setting.

As for treats, my flock has cleaned the Thanksgiving turkey carcass completely to bones after I've gotten as much off it as possible without boiling it.

I never thought about a turkey carcass, but they can leave a watermelon rind as thin as paper. Around here, the chickens rush the door and if the catfood's not up, it's gone in seconds. I have a Naked Neck that's addicted to French-fried onions and knows exactly which cupboard they're in and she's not shy about asking for it. Forgetting to close the door often results in invasion and chaos. I also have one that takes a daily nap on a particular spot in the living room. The crazy thing is, she's only pooped in the house once and that's when she accidentally got locked in. I keep saying it's coincidence. Time will tell. Thank You for your response. I'm getting ready to look at your pictures!

P.S. They're not spoiled, I'm just a pushover!

Last edited:
She hatched out her baby sometime yesterday. It's pitch black and looks very alert. She's a Bar Cochin and Dad is either a Buttercup or Buff Cochin. I'm hoping it's the Buff. Other than a Jersey Giant, I've never seen such a big rooster. She's big, too. And for such a shy lady, she sounds like a Rottie! Well, I'm excited. Just to let you know, my Daughter's Bullmastiff had her first litter the day before. One male and 4 females. She's only got one sold so far, but they've got great breeding so I don't think she'll have them for long. So, I'm the proud Grandma of 6 this week. Wouldn't mind one more human one... Hee Hee!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom