What to feed my chickens

chickenhouse32

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I have 2 rescue chickens from a factory farm, and I don't know if i should be feeding them grower or layer feed? they are not layer chicken per say but 1 has started laying an egg here and there.

You could feed them start and grow non medicated 18 percent protein. or flock raiser 20 percent protein with oyster shell in a separate container and granite grit in a separate container or if both are laying, a layers feed 16 to 18 percent protein, 18 percent if you exceed 10 percent treats, with granite grit in a separate container. Keep treats such as scratch grains, corn and table or kitchen scraps to 10 percent or less, what they can consume in 10 to 15 minutes twice a day. If they free range and there are lots of jagged pebbles around 3/16 to a 1/4 inch on your property, you may not need granite grit. GC
PS: Check the date it was bagged on the bottom of the start and grow, 2 months old or less is best, it doesn't sell well this time of year. Buy only what your chickens can consume in 2 months. Keep away from heat and moisture. Fresh is best. GC

Last edited:
When you say rescue and not primarily layers, then are they older gals?
They will stop laying with any stress or trama such as re homing etc.
great luck with your new ladies.

Back
Top Bottom