1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed my chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenhouse32, Nov 8, 2016.

1. chickenhouse32

chickenhouse32 New Egg

Nov 8, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have 2 rescue chickens from a factory farm, and I don't know if i should be feeding them grower or layer feed? they are not layer chicken per say but 1 has started laying an egg here and there.

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    You could feed them start and grow non medicated 18 percent protein. or flock raiser 20 percent protein with oyster shell in a separate container and granite grit in a separate container or if both are laying, a layers feed 16 to 18 percent protein, 18 percent if you exceed 10 percent treats, with granite grit in a separate container. Keep treats such as scratch grains, corn and table or kitchen scraps to 10 percent or less, what they can consume in 10 to 15 minutes twice a day. If they free range and there are lots of jagged pebbles around 3/16 to a 1/4 inch on your property, you may not need granite grit. GC
    PS: Check the date it was bagged on the bottom of the start and grow, 2 months old or less is best, it doesn't sell well this time of year. Buy only what your chickens can consume in 2 months. Keep away from heat and moisture. Fresh is best. GC

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Royweb

Royweb New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Joelton, TN
    Greetings all. I have about 80 mature white oaks in my yard. If processed correctly can they be used as a feed supplement?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Acorns? I believe they need to be soaked for quite a while to get the tannins out of them. I found this article. Too late for this year, but, I may try it next year. the young Oak trees around my yard were raining acorns this year. This is the first year they've produced nuts.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/harvesting-the-wild-acorns/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    As a primary ration, no.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    When you say rescue and not primarily layers, then are they older gals?
    They will stop laying with any stress or trama such as re homing etc.
    great luck with your new ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by