What to Feed my Flock

psychemy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2019
All four of my chickens are at about 20 weeks old and their current pullet feed is almost gone. Two of them are cockerels so I know I shouldn't be giving them all layers feed (none of my chickens have started laying anyway). I did some research and lots of people are recommending the Purina Flock Raiser. However they don't seem to sell it in Australia and the ones available on eBay don't ship here either. I can't keep them on pullet feed forever so I need a new alternative to the Purina. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated, especially if it's Australia specific. :)

Not really sure what is available in your area. I would suggest finding and feeding them something EQUIVALENT to ALFLOCK. Check your feed store,,, and see what they have.. :idunno That is what I feed my flock. It is ideal for more than just chickens, (hence Alflock) It is 18% protein and 2% calcium. Layer feed is similar in protein or slightly lower. The lower protein is to keep costs down, Like at 16%. Layer feed is also formulated with 4% calcium. That is fine as long as your chickens are laying EGGS. Non-layers, and roosters are somewhat harmed with that much (processed) calcium. It affects the health of their kidneys, and liver.
When you provide the 18% Protein, and 2% calcium, it is also good to provide Cracked Oyster Shells freechoice. The chickens will seek out what they know they need. If your chickens free range on grass and other greens, they will also supplement their calcium needs from these plants as well. The free choice Oyster shells are such,,, that chickens will not OVERDOSE on calcium. Anything not needed in the digestive trak will just go thru the chicken out the south end:gig
Ask anything else you are not sure of.. There are numerous peeps here willing to share advice as needed.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I would guess in Australia your feed bags have a label that shows the percent of certain nutrients like they do in the States. Typically there are only two nutrients with significant differences on any of the feeds. One is calcium, the ingredient you are concerned about here. Typically in laying feeds the calcium is around 4%. In non-laying feeds the calcium is around 1%. Could be less or could be more but it should be clear whether the calcium level is closer to 4% or 1%.

The other nutrient that can vary significantly is protein. Typical ranges here are 15% to 24% but there are some specialty feeds outside those ranges. Some of us prefer to use a feed in the lower percent protein range, some prefer a higher. We have different goals and conditions so we might prefer different protein contents. There are several other nutrients on the label but usually there are not significantly different. Marketing names can vary but if you look at the label for nutrients you can tell the differences.

Look at the label on your pullet feed. What is the protein and calcium on it? If you are happy with the percent protein and the calcium is not too high, you can keep using it. That's what I do, here it is called Grower. If you want something different then look at the labels of the other feeds offered. Pick one of those. Then offer a calcium supplement on the side so they can choose if they want to eat it or not, I use oyster shell. The ones that need it for their egg shells seem to know they need it and eat enough. The ones that do not need it for egg shells won't eat enough to harm themselves.

I feed all my Chickens after 10 weeks of age, a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower Poultry feed 18% Protein, 1% Calcium or a All-Flock Poultry feed 20% Protein, 1% Calcium. Whichever is Fresher or available when I'm at the feed store.
So look for a Poultry feed with 16 to 20% Protein and around 1 to 2% Calcium.
I supply a separate container of Oyster Shells. 20181214_095753.jpg . I don't know what is used as a Calcium supplement for Chickens in your country. But I know crushed Limestone is an option in other countries. GC
ETA; I prefer 18 to 20% Protein, but 16% is acceptable.

Last edited:
Not really sure what is available in your area. I would suggest finding and feeding them something EQUIVALENT to ALFLOCK. Check your feed store,,, and see what they have.. :idunno That is what I feed my flock. It is ideal for more than just chickens, (hence Alflock) It is 18% protein and 2% calcium. Layer feed is similar in protein or slightly lower. The lower protein is to keep costs down, Like at 16%. Layer feed is also formulated with 4% calcium. That is fine as long as your chickens are laying EGGS. Non-layers, and roosters are somewhat harmed with that much (processed) calcium. It affects the health of their kidneys, and liver.
When you provide the 18% Protein, and 2% calcium, it is also good to provide Cracked Oyster Shells freechoice. The chickens will seek out what they know they need. If your chickens free range on grass and other greens, they will also supplement their calcium needs from these plants as well. The free choice Oyster shells are such,,, that chickens will not OVERDOSE on calcium. Anything not needed in the digestive trak will just go thru the chicken out the south end:gig
Ask anything else you are not sure of.. There are numerous peeps here willing to share advice as needed.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thank you, I'll look into it! :frow

I would guess in Australia your feed bags have a label that shows the percent of certain nutrients like they do in the States. Typically there are only two nutrients with significant differences on any of the feeds. One is calcium, the ingredient you are concerned about here. Typically in laying feeds the calcium is around 4%. In non-laying feeds the calcium is around 1%. Could be less or could be more but it should be clear whether the calcium level is closer to 4% or 1%.

The other nutrient that can vary significantly is protein. Typical ranges here are 15% to 24% but there are some specialty feeds outside those ranges. Some of us prefer to use a feed in the lower percent protein range, some prefer a higher. We have different goals and conditions so we might prefer different protein contents. There are several other nutrients on the label but usually there are not significantly different. Marketing names can vary but if you look at the label for nutrients you can tell the differences.

Look at the label on your pullet feed. What is the protein and calcium on it? If you are happy with the percent protein and the calcium is not too high, you can keep using it. That's what I do, here it is called Grower. If you want something different then look at the labels of the other feeds offered. Pick one of those. Then offer a calcium supplement on the side so they can choose if they want to eat it or not, I use oyster shell. The ones that need it for their egg shells seem to know they need it and eat enough. The ones that do not need it for egg shells won't eat enough to harm themselves.

I've got a photo of their feed here:
IMG_20190219_163642.jpg
IMG_20190219_163654.jpg

Could you have a look and tell me what you think? Thanks heaps!

I feed all my Chickens after 10 weeks of age, a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower Poultry feed 18% Protein, 1% Calcium or a All-Flock Poultry feed 20% Protein, 1% Calcium. Whichever is Fresher or available when I'm at the feed store.
So look for a Poultry feed with 16 to 20% Protein and around 1 to 2% Calcium.
I supply a separate container of Oyster Shells.View attachment 1674097 . I don't know what is used as a Calcium supplement for Chickens in your country. But I know crushed Limestone is an option in other countries. GC
ETA; I prefer 18 to 20% Protein, but 16% is acceptable.

The grower I'm using now has a min crude protein of 15.5% and it's also medicated. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed medicated feed if you want eggs? Thanks :)

I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed medicated feed if you want eggs?
I'm not familiar with that medication, but when you change to a Non-medicated feed when they are close to laying, you should be fine.
I would read every sentence on that bag. If there's a withdrawal period before you can eat eggs. I would follow it. GC

From a nutritional look that is close enough that it could be used as a basic feed for laying hens with a calcium supplement like oyster shell on the side. Most people would like more protein but it could work. But I would not use it for laying hens because of the medication.

That medication can be fatal to horses and dogs.

In the States most (not all but most) medicated feed contains Amprolium, which is safe for hens laying eggs. But that is not Amprolium. Bovatec is primarily used as a medication for bovines (cattle) and sheep. It took some effort to find any studies where it was used on chickens. I couldn't find a chicken study under Bovatec but found one using Lasalocid A Sodium, the active ingredient.

Do not use this feed for chickens that will be meat chickens. That study said don't do it. They were talking about the commercial met chickens that are typically butchered at 6 to 8 weeks of age so they don't have enough time for their bodies to eliminate this drug so the meat is safe to eat. The withdrawal time for Lasalocid A Sodium in cattle used for meat varied from a few days to two months, depending on concentration and how it was administered. Eventually you would be able to safely eat those chickens but I don't know how long a period that would take.

For chickens, that specific mediated feed is intended for immature pullets, not that close to egg laying age. Best I could tell from that article the withdrawal time (the time it was last eaten until the egg is safe for you to eat) was 3 days but they were not as clear on that as I would have preferred. I'd be nervous at anything less than a week and would prefer much longer.

From a nutritional look that is close enough that it could be used as a basic feed for laying hens with a calcium supplement like oyster shell on the side. Most people would like more protein but it could work. But I would not use it for laying hens because of the medication.

That medication can be fatal to horses and dogs.

In the States most (not all but most) medicated feed contains Amprolium, which is safe for hens laying eggs. But that is not Amprolium. Bovatec is primarily used as a medication for bovines (cattle) and sheep. It took some effort to find any studies where it was used on chickens. I couldn't find a chicken study under Bovatec but found one using Lasalocid A Sodium, the active ingredient.

Do not use this feed for chickens that will be meat chickens. That study said don't do it. They were talking about the commercial met chickens that are typically butchered at 6 to 8 weeks of age so they don't have enough time for their bodies to eliminate this drug so the meat is safe to eat. The withdrawal time for Lasalocid A Sodium in cattle used for meat varied from a few days to two months, depending on concentration and how it was administered. Eventually you would be able to safely eat those chickens but I don't know how long a period that would take.

For chickens, that specific mediated feed is intended for immature pullets, not that close to egg laying age. Best I could tell from that article the withdrawal time (the time it was last eaten until the egg is safe for you to eat) was 3 days but they were not as clear on that as I would have preferred. I'd be nervous at anything less than a week and would prefer much longer.

Oh wow, thank you. I'll make sure to get non-medicated when I check the stores this weekend. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom