what to feed my guineas?

newbiechick1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
My husband bought 4 guinea keets and wants to keep them with our heavy breed pullets that are the same age. what can I feed everyone so I dont have to separate the keets? Can i use medicated feed on the keets? Thanks for the help!

My husband bought 4 guinea keets and wants to keep them with our heavy breed pullets that are the same age. what can I feed everyone so I dont have to separate the keets? Can i use medicated feed on the keets? Thanks for the help!

What I do when I have keets and chicks in the same brooder is to feed all of them turkey game bird starter. The brand I buy is 28% protein which is what the keets need. Medicated feed is alright for the keets. What is not alright to feed the keets is the low protein chick starter. It is harmful to the proper development of their internal organs and can stunt the guineas for life.

I have raised a lot of chicks, poults and keets in the same brooder on the 28% protein feed and have never seen any harmful effects on the chicks due to the higher protein content.

Where can I buy that type of feed?

Any reputable feed store should have turkey game bird starter in stock. Check your the yellow pages for local feed stores and call them to find out what they carry. The one problem with the chain stores is that they often have people working in the feed section that really don't know poultry and often give bad advice concerning the type of feed that turkey poults and guinea keets actually need.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom