what to feed peacocks???

Years ago, all scratch grain mixes contained mostly corn with a little milo for color and sometimes a little wheat. When corn prices got high, scratch mixes became mostly milo, which i mostly keep pigeons and they prefer more milo in the mix, so that's fine by me.

I have my first batch of peafowl - they are 4 months old and i started them with chick starter. I will switch to gamebird feed of some kind eventually. I was surprised how little they eat compared to other birds.

The first few nights that i had mine out of the brooder, i had a small florescent bulb hanging about 5 feet off the floor, and just before dark, when the bugs would come to that light, the birds sure enjoyed eating them. It's remarkable how well they like those bugs.

Years ago, all scratch grain mixes contained mostly corn with a little milo for color and sometimes a little wheat. When corn prices got high, scratch mixes became mostly milo, which i mostly keep pigeons and they prefer more milo in the mix, so that's fine by me.

I have my first batch of peafowl - they are 4 months old and i started them with chick starter. I will switch to gamebird feed of some kind eventually. I was surprised how little they eat compared to other birds.

The first few nights that i had mine out of the brooder, i had a small florescent bulb hanging about 5 feet off the floor, and just before dark, when the bugs would come to that light, the birds sure enjoyed eating them. It's remarkable how well they like those bugs.

Peafowl's regular diet involves grains, insects, vegetation, small reptiles, and small mammals. Watch them when a grasshopper flies next to their faces. I wish I could get it on video because it's funny. Peafowl need at least 20% protein feed. Make sure your birds have something like gravel, sand, or small rocks in their pen. It helps their gizzard mash up food better and gives the birds more nutrients. I make sure that my poultry pens have an area they can get to small rocks to help better their digestion.

Last edited:
Hello,

We just purchased 3 male peacocks and house them on our property upstate. We live in Nassau county full time. I would like to ask you a few questions if you didn't mind since these are the first we have them.

When you get a chance, please call me 516-205-2333.

Thank you,
Luciano

Hello,

We just purchased 3 male peacocks and house them on our property upstate. We live in Nassau county full time. I would like to ask you a few questions if you didn't mind since these are the first we have them.

When you get a chance, please call me 516-205-2333.

Thank you,
Luciano
@middleburghfarm , welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hey guys- I feed my peacocks Purena DOG FOOD as chicken food does not have enough protein and vitamins/minerals for them. Game bird feed is also a great choice.

Back
Top Bottom