What to feed show chickens

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
So I want to keep my birds obviously in good condition all year round and was told to keep the protein level at about 30% or more. I thought about getting some cat food, is this a good idea? What food should I be feeding my show birds?
Right now I have them on
Dry dog food @ 21% protein that I soak before giving it to them
whole corn ( they don't like it at all)
Layer pellets ( semi like it)
Rolled oats

Any opinions or suggestions..

Thanks so much

30% ?!

th.gif

That is really high for chickens. Even 25 is pushing it if you're doing it just for conditioning/show.

A diet high in protein like catfood can actually do some damage to the liver after a while, and as for either dog food or cat food as a protein booster, personally, I'd rather use some good quality (grain free) stuff but that's just me.

When it comes to condition of the bird I prefer to focus on a healthy diet especially rich in fatty acids and minerals than a generally high protein diet. Also remember, if your birds have white earlobes or white plumage, cut back on the corn products.

But really, it is to each their own.

30% is WAY too high. You could use a 30% feed with a lot of SUPPLEMENTS such as grains, greens, veggies and fruits that make the overall diet lower. I aim at 20-22% for the overall diet. Problem with cat food is the amount of salt. However, it has some nutrients that are good for birds. Dog food has less salt, but doesn't carry the extra nutrients.

Locally, Manna Pro is the best quality feed; Kelley is also great (some prefer it, especially the Starter). Kings is great, but not readily available.

For supplements, canned mackerel or tuna from the grocery store can be added, but sparingly. Some use fish food such as you would feed pond fish. Give me a call next week and I will see if I can find George M's feed recipe.

Illia's comments are good advice.

You do not want to be feeding you birds a 30% feed, you will be wasting money and doing a lot of harm to your fowl.
When I have my conditioning/show feed mixed I go for a 18 to 20 percent protein.

Chris

Last edited:
I use a 17% Protien feed, and add 1oz of wheat germ oil and 1 oz of Cod liver oil to every 5 lbs when I mix it. mix well, allow to sit at least overnight before feeding. This will aid in feather sheen, and body firmness. Also allow plenty of space for movement to help keep breast firm.
I never feed anything above 22% to the birds and even then thats for young birds growing out.

I don't knw anything about feeding a chicken for show but Mine all have nice feathers that are very shiny. I just feed a commercial layer feed (Purina Layena) I give scratch daily as there morning snack when they first come out of the coop and whatever left-over we have. Oh and Sunflower seed occasionally....

My birds are getting ready to show at a County Fair, they are alittle heavy, I need to hold their feed but I do not want to loose the firmness of the breast? What should I do?

My birds are getting ready to show at a County Fair, they are alittle heavy, I need to hold their feed but I do not want to loose the firmness of the breast? What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom