what to feed them

Troop1379

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
I got my 6 chicks from TS store on March 29 2012.Yes I bought them cause they ere so cute. I have come to love them like they are my kids I have to say they are so much fun to watch and they are growing fast. We are feeding them Nature Wise Chick Starter Grower Crumbles and my hubby thinks they need a treat once a day and gives them 1 can of corn or sometimes corn or the cob .They come running to the fence when they see him coming. What else should I give them to eat? I have the list from the website of things they can eat. But I guess I should say when should I start egg shells and Scratch and how much. I am very new to all of this. Thank you for all your help

They don't need extra calcium until they start laying. It is fun to give them treats and see what they like. We would give ours small tomatoes and watch them go crazy. They are too young for scratch because the pieces will be too big.

I start oyster shell (you could use crushed eggshell instead) when they begin to lay. I offer it in a little container on the wall at all times. However, that's more of an issue with older hens. I use cracked corn as a treat, along with fruit. Green veggies are really healthy, and free ranging is one of the best things you can do. It allows them to supplement their diets with bugs and grass- however be careful of predators. Hawks, coyotes, bob cats, and dogs belonging to neighbors with an inability to keep those dogs on their own properties all pose treats to your birds.

I would also wait until they start laying for grit. Even when ours lay I find they really don't need it, their shells are very thick. Our flock loves grapes and strawberries! The moment we come outside and they see something in our hands, they all come running.

If you're giving treats then they need grit, either from being outside or provided by you.

They do not need oyster shells (or their own shells, if you prefer) until laying time.

I give birds crumbles (when babies) and pellets (when pullets/hens) 24/7. Treats? Well, I try to treat them like treats and not overdo it. A few handfuls a day?

Back
Top Bottom