What to feed to avoid corn

Quote:
Found this on the internet sometime ago it might help...
Energy. Energy is the amount of power produced when food is metabolized. Energy is measured in heat units (calories or joules). In nutrition the kilocalorie (kcal) equals 1000 gram calories. A gram calorie is the heat required to raise 1 gram of water 1BC (14.5 to 15.5BC) (1 kcal equals 4.184 kjoules).

Metabolizable energy (ME). The amount of energy available to be used for maintenance, for production of body tissue (for growth and replacement), activity and egg production, when a food material or feed is eaten. It includes the heat lost during metabolism. The ME of a feed ingredient (individual feed) may be used to indicate the nutritional value of that ingredient. Feed ingredients or feeds are rated as high or low energy. ME depends on the quality of the feed and on the % dry matter. Good maize (corn) at 85% dry matter (15% water) has an ME of 3300 kcal/kg. The ME for barley is 2700 kcal/kg. Fats may have an ME of 9000 kcal/kg. If chickens are fed a low energy feed they will eat more feed, if it is available, to get the required energy. In monogastric animals, like chickens, energy comes mainly from carbohydrates and fats since fibre containing cellulose cannot be digested.

Chris

Then it seems the "standard" is a high carbohydrate diet for chickens. Is this is because it is good for the chickens or because corn is a cheap filler?

It's cheap.​

To those who want to feed corn, go for it. And you can put all the GM crops in your own diet that you want. Why this whole thread deteriorated into a GM discussion, I don't know. There is NOTHING in the literature that will convince me it is safe, and I use only heritage seeds when I plant my own crops. Maize (Zea maize, aka "corn") was unknown in Europe before Columbus et al "discovered" America, and they had chickens and other poultry that did quite well on natural feeds. That's all I was looking for--how best to feed chickens through the winter without using corn-based products.

To all who answered my question, thank you. You've given me a lot of good ideas, which I now will act upon.

Me either...

"Germany Gm Corn

In a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences, analyzing the effects of genetically modified foods on mammalian health, researchers found that agricultural giant Monsanto's GM corn is linked to organ damage in rats.

According to the study, which was summarized by Rady Ananda at Food Freedom, "Three varieties of Monsanto's GM corn - Mon 863, insecticide-producing Mon 810, and Roundup
00ae.png
herbicide-absorbing NK 603 - were approved for consumption by US, European and several other national food safety authorities."

Monsanto gathered its own crude statistical data after conducting a 90-day study, even though chronic problems can rarely be found after 90 days, and concluded that the corn was safe for consumption. The stamp of approval may have been premature, however.

In the conclusion of the IJBS study, researchers wrote:

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown.""
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

Quote:
It's cheap.

Wifezilla,
OK, Yes cheap... It appears the subject of nutrition is your expertise/passion. (Looking at your web link..)
What do you suggest instead of corn and soy?????? Help us non nutrition experts learn how to develop a healthy diet for our birds.

Chris09,
Thank you! Good (No GREAT) info.. Keep it coming.. My web surfing this morning on this subject, has lead to fats. Mostly from the Manitoba block of information.

rosawoodsii,
I think many of us posting on this topic are on the same "team" with a similar goal, we may have slightly different agenda's and ideal's but we are all going a similar direction. Thanks for starting this thread.

This is indeed a daunting task bucking the current western civilizations "cultural norm"...

ON

Last edited:
I am trying to find a way to purchase this feed...
http://www.spicerbirdfarm.com/spicerfeed.html

I haven't had any luck yet.

My birds are still getting feed with corn and soy but I am trying to get away from it. I supplement as much as possible with fresh greens. I am planting pasture seeds (red and white clover to start), but I only have small areas to work with. If you have room, plant a chicken pasture. Well 2 actually so you can rotate them.

Ask your feed dealer if they have no soy, no corn feed. Most likely they will look at you like you just grew a 3rd eyeball in the middle of your forehead, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Check labels on game bird feed formulas where you are currently getting your feed. Some use pork for the protein instead of soy. I can get a pork based game bird feed, but I have to drive to another town to get it and they are often sold out.

This place sells organic soy-free feed. I haven't tried it because the shipping cost makes it too expensive for me, but I guess if you order in bulk that goes down. You will have to call them to ask...
http://www.countrysidenatural.com/home.php?cat=12
It has corn, but it is organic corn. Organic corn in not GMO.

Last edited:
ON,
You could try:

Maple Peas - 22% Protein - 59% Carbs.
Field Peas - 25% Protein - 57% Carbs.
Cow Peas - 23% Protein - 57% Carbs.
Peanuts - 30% Protein - 11% Carbs.
Fish Meal is 60% Protein.

Quote:
i've got some good links about poultry nutrition on my BYC page, if you are interested. Organics North referenced "the Manitoba block of information," which i think would be the Manitoba Agriculture, Food, and Rural Initiatives which is a great resource.

i don't feed (or eat) soy and try to keep corn usage low. since i feed organic anyway, i don't feel bad about keeping a little corn in the chicken's diet. what i'm feeding at the moment (Countryside Naturals) has field peas as the main ingredient, as well as lots of wheat and barley and alfalfa. corn has been used so prevalently because it is cheap, not because it is the best nutritionally. that said, it isn't a bad thing to feed in moderation (if you get non-GMO, of course). it does have a higher fat content that most other grains, so i would suggest it as maybe the 4th or 5th ingredient rather than the first. but, your chickens should be completely fine without it as well, if that is the route you choose to go. you just want to find other feed ingredients that will offer a high fat content to keep those calories up. flax should be good for this, you just don't want to use too much or you can get fishy tasting eggs (and apparently if you overfeed flax you aren't getting more nutritional value, you are just spending more to get the same amount- i don't know how that works exactly).

good luck with your foray into alternative ag! you should come join us over on the BYC sister site SufficientSelf (especially the Everything Else thread) if you want to talk more about these issues. Wifezilla and Freemotion are over there as well, and the interesting convos never stop.

Field peas is an ingredient in the premium cat food I buy (Taste of the Wild brand http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/rocky_mountain_feline_formula/ ). Not only do my cats love it, my ducks think it is the best treat EVER! If you leave the patio door open, they will sneak in the house and raid the cat bowl. I bring them a handful to share every morning. I call it their "cookies". Wanna see a duck spazz out (well, more than usual)? Ask them "Would you like a cookie?" Hee hee hee

1003656.jpg

Did someone say 'Cookie'?

The quail also love it. They totally flip out when they see me grinding some up for their treat cup. If it wasn't so expensive, I might use that to feed my birds more often!
gig.gif

you should come join us over on the BYC sister site SufficientSelf (especially the Everything Else thread) if you want to talk more about these issues. Wifezilla and Freemotion are over there as well, and the interesting convos never stop.

Aint that the truth! LOL From fermentation to pigs dropping out of the sky
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom