What to Feed?

NCBonnie

Chirping
Dec 31, 2020
Okay, folks, my 10-count mixed breed flock is now about 18-weeks and I got our first egg yesterday (albeit soft and thin). I’ve started offering crushed oyster shell as a supplement but what are the recommendations for feed? I’ve had them on a 16% crumble for a bit but thinking it’s time for something different.

Sixteen percent is rather low in protein. Many of us feed an all-flock feed such as Flock Raiser which is 20%. Oyster shell offered free choice is also standard for all laying hens. Be sure it's not been reduced to powdery crumbles though. The oyster shell larger pieces are best since they remain in the digestive tract longer than small ones and more calcium gets absorbed.

If you get thin shell or shell--less eggs, it's a good idea to treat with a calcium supplement for a few days to boost the calcium levels in that particular hen. I use this as it absorbs very quickly.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Laying hens should be fed layer feed end of story.
I was once on the same idea of “all flock” and OS.

sorry but if you need to give calcium supplements in case of thin shells that in and of itself speaks volumes. Give layer feed as should be done and you won’t have any issue.

First eggs can be glitchy or off and the issue may resolve itself without you needing to change anything, but good to keep an eye on it.

Just to complicate matters (since you have 2 opinions above) I feed a combo of layer and grower as long as I don't have chicks. Dilutes down the calcium a bit and raises the protein a bit. Oyster shell is on the side for anyone that wants it, and for birds that need extra calcium but won't eat the oyster shell themselves, I serve up private breakfasts 1-2x a week to those specific birds, depending on their need. I have all hens, so no rooster to account for.

Goes to show there isn't just one answer.

Back
Top Bottom