What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Pics
What a great thread..I wonder if you can help me? 14 weeks ago my broody hen hatched one chick..this was the 1st chick with my cockerel. He was very attentive and the chick quickly was integrated into the flock of other 4 girls! The chick even slept under him in the hen house BUT then mum went broody again 2 weeks ago and chick was on its own!! Now she stays apart from the flock and when Cockerel goes near her she runs away!!! Do you know what is going on? I feel so sorry for her, she still goes into hen house at night but during the day wanders about herself!!!

I am loosing your train of thought so may need clarification.

My young birds get the boot from flock once they are 10 to 12 weeks old. The father seems responsible for the booting. My current group of juveniles (brood 1) has been booted from roost branch used by father and hen, Juveniles now roost several feet away. Under more natural conditions the juveniles are likely booted from the entire parental territory.

In coop setting with more domesticated birds things may play out differently.

Thank you for the reply! I only have 1 rooster and 5 hens plus this 1 chick who is definitely a girl! They free range during the day and are locked in coop at night. they all go into house on their own so no problems in the coop.

I am starting to think the rooster is trying to bring her into the flock but she just runs away and hides!

Hopefully it will sort itself out over next few weeks!

thanks again for you advice and again love your thread x

Thank you for the reply! I only have 1 rooster and 5 hens plus this 1 chick who is definitely a girl! They free range during the day and are locked in coop at night. they all go into house on their own so no problems in the coop.

I am starting to think the rooster is trying to bring her into the flock but she just runs away and hides!

Hopefully it will sort itself out over next few weeks!

thanks again for you advice and again love your thread x

The very same rooster behavior used to keep upstart harem members in line serves as the motivation for your single chick to leave. Your single chick is an advanced juvenile that no longer produces signals causing rooster to leave he alone yet she still does not have the mature hen response that usually results in a mating or at least stopping of the roosters low intensity aggression. The advanced juvenile simple tries to get away and may produce sounds that as far rooster is concerned means she is being a smart mouthed teenager causing him to chase her harder. The chases are very subtle but are all that is needed to get her to consider leaving the harem. Under natural conditions the rooster wants all of his offspring to leave so they can join or start other harems. The staying back leads to inbreeding which under natural conditions is largely avoided. Sometimes hens also play a role in ejecting advanced juveniles as they become more interested in younger offspring.

Juveniles no longer forage together although roost area still repressents center of their foraging area. Slugger does not venture more than 150 from house and virtually always has Blanch with brood 2 in sight. This time juveniles normally disperse. They are fighting a lot more among themselves when going to the roost. Problem is they do not have good alternative locations and Slugger has not been trying hard to eject them.

Looks like Slugger, 2 cockerels and one pullet juvenile likely got munched. Timing for juveniles not known exactly other than during day. Slugger was taken just before noon. I was unable to find remains of anyone which includes feathers so possibility remains they will resurface in the coming days. I have already chosen a new cock but will delay his deployment a couple days in the event Slugger is still about. I did not hear him crowing which makes me think munch. I have already picked out his son that will be broke in for field days with kids starting next spring. Poor young fellow will also suffer an experiment with Japanese beetles. Slugger provided service for three years and provided a pullet that nicks for what I am interested in.

I am guessing bobcat. Dogs have very good nose for coyotes and foxes which also tend to leave easy to find feather piles. Neither dog has had a close encounter with bobcat so I will promote it when bugger comes back in tomorrow. Dogs need to get into hot scent once with me egging them on before they will do it themselves later. Aliens still not ruled out, and if they did then they owe me.

Looks like Slugger, 2 cockerels and one pullet juvenile likely got munched. Timing for juveniles not known exactly other than during day. Slugger was taken just before noon. I was unable to find remains of anyone which includes feathers so possibility remains they will resurface in the coming days. I have already chosen a new cock but will delay his deployment a couple days in the event Slugger is still about. I did not hear him crowing which makes me think munch. I have already picked out his son that will be broke in for field days with kids starting next spring. Poor young fellow will also suffer an experiment with Japanese beetles. Slugger provided service for three years and provided a pullet that nicks for what I am interested in.
I'm sorry to hear about Slugger and the other chickens. Slugger was a good rooster . He taught me a lot with your help.

Bobcats are formidable predators. I'm glad I don't have to worry about them around Michigan

Back
Top Bottom