1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to look for when buying pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Karens62, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Karens62

Karens62 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    My coop will be finished this weekend and now to fill it. A friend of a friend has 6 RIR pullets, hatched in March, that he is willing to sell me. Why question is, what should I be looking for when I go look at them tonight? I am assuming, much like picking out any other animal, I want the following:

1. Shiny feathers
    2. Clear, bright looking eyes
    3. Moderately plump (not scrawny)
    4. No discharge anywhere
    5. Active and curious

Does this all look right and did I miss anything critical?

Thanks,

Karen

1 person likes this.
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Karen-

All those things you mentioned are good, but here are some things to consider as well:

They shouldn't have any odd smell about them, and look at their legs too....the legs should be smooth with no bumpy scales. Check under the wing feathers and near the vent for parasites like mites or lice.

Look around at the environment they've been living in....if it's dirty, and you get this feeling like, maybe it's not a good idea, then trust your instincts.

Hope this helps and good luck! I hope they're gorgous and in great shape!

Sharon

1 person likes this.
  3. Karens62

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    Thanks, that's good information. And yes, I will trust my instincts. I want chickens, but I don't need to inherit problems.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You say pullets, are they laying yet? Aren't they about 26 weeks old? I'd look at that [​IMG]

I think you and Sharon have covered it.

Good luck! And remember, if these don't work out, you get to do more chicken shopping [​IMG]

5. Karens62

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    They looked great and we are picking them up on Sunday. Now for stupid question #2. what do I bring them home in? Can I put several chickens in a single box? It's only a 20 minute drive.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Anymore, unless I hatch them myself, I wouldn't get started pullets unless it was from a hatchery.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You can put them in boxes or cages. Just make sure there are ventilation holes in the boxes if that's what you use.
    And yes, you can put several in one box(just don't have them crammed in).

8. jelmer

jelmer Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    Quote:Why is that

9. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I used a couple of dog crates to transport mine in. I put down a couple of old towels and threw the towels away when I got home.

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We use a pet taxi also we just put shavings in it dump on compost pile and spray out when we are done. Last time we just put it in the backseat of the car with two Roos we were trading off. The trip was 35 miles of constant crowing ughh! The pet taxi works really well though. Best of luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by