What to look for when buying pullets?

Karens62

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 10, 2010
Marion, NC
My coop will be finished this weekend and now to fill it. A friend of a friend has 6 RIR pullets, hatched in March, that he is willing to sell me. Why question is, what should I be looking for when I go look at them tonight? I am assuming, much like picking out any other animal, I want the following:

1. Shiny feathers
2. Clear, bright looking eyes
3. Moderately plump (not scrawny)
4. No discharge anywhere
5. Active and curious

Does this all look right and did I miss anything critical?

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen-

All those things you mentioned are good, but here are some things to consider as well:

They shouldn't have any odd smell about them, and look at their legs too....the legs should be smooth with no bumpy scales. Check under the wing feathers and near the vent for parasites like mites or lice.

Look around at the environment they've been living in....if it's dirty, and you get this feeling like, maybe it's not a good idea, then trust your instincts.

Hope this helps and good luck! I hope they're gorgous and in great shape!

Sharon

Thanks, that's good information. And yes, I will trust my instincts. I want chickens, but I don't need to inherit problems.

You say pullets, are they laying yet? Aren't they about 26 weeks old? I'd look at that
hmm.png

I think you and Sharon have covered it.

Good luck! And remember, if these don't work out, you get to do more chicken shopping
big_smile.png

They looked great and we are picking them up on Sunday. Now for stupid question #2. what do I bring them home in? Can I put several chickens in a single box? It's only a 20 minute drive.

You can put them in boxes or cages. Just make sure there are ventilation holes in the boxes if that's what you use.
And yes, you can put several in one box(just don't have them crammed in).

We use a pet taxi also we just put shavings in it dump on compost pile and spray out when we are done. Last time we just put it in the backseat of the car with two Roos we were trading off. The trip was 35 miles of constant crowing ughh! The pet taxi works really well though. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom