what to plant for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cocotte, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    We're thinking of planting something in big flower pots to put in the run for the chickens to pick through, but what should we plant? I've got all sorts of empty plant pots, I could plant a bunch of stuff and rotate them. Any suggestions?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Dark leafy greens, like Swiss chard, kale, collards, spinach and leaf lettuce. Grasses like wheat, oat, buckwheat or flax. Even lawn grass. Legumes like alfalfa and clover. A cherry tomato that you could pick tomatoes from and toss in the run.

3. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    My girls love collards and corn, tomatoes, cabbage etc, all from the garden!! I even planted some sunflowers which they were wild for :eek:) Happy planting!!

4. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been thinking about planting a small patch of Sorghum-Sudangrass. It grows like crazy, makes a lot of feed and I read that birds and assorted wildlife really like the seeds when it comes to maturity.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Turnips are great! you plant them the chickens eat the tops then they grow back and last all summer and then in the fall you harvest them and feed them to other livestock. This works best if you rotate your birds to give the turnips a chance to revegitate.

6. Cocotte

Cocotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Those are some great suggestions, thanks!

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    What about some mangle beets, beans, and winter squash?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by