What to put in duck run?

its just mostly cause of the rain pools no problem there the rain makes so much mud cause the ground is soft there

Creaturelife...........
We use wood mulch in our run. the run is 10x 10. Partially covered.
We can get 10 yards for free from local arborists. They prefer to not have to pay to dump their loads at a facility and will dump it where we want it.
I LOVE it because it is airy, decomposes nicely when mixed in duck pooh gives me great carbon to nitrogen ratios and the finished compost is FANTASTIC. Set up a few pallet/compost bins and start making black gold!
Besides, it is a waste NOT to use the manure/mulch because if you are feeding the ducks quality good food, then that manure is full of quality good stuff, no? The worms, organic feed, and greens my Muscovies eat is full of nutrition, which goes into eggs, strong healthy ducks and the back into the garden after it is composted. WIN

Creaturelife...........
We use wood mulch in our run. the run is 10x 10. Partially covered. 
We can get 10 yards for free from local arborists. They prefer to not have to pay to dump their loads at a facility and  will dump it where we want it. 
I LOVE it because it is airy, decomposes nicely when mixed in duck pooh gives me great carbon to nitrogen ratios and the finished compost is FANTASTIC. Set up a few pallet/compost bins and start making black gold! 
Besides, it is a waste NOT to use the manure/mulch because if you are feeding the ducks quality good food, then that manure is full of quality good stuff, no? The worms, organic feed, and greens my Muscovies eat is full of nutrition, which goes into eggs, strong healthy ducks and the back into the garden after it is composted. WIN
you say local arborist. What does that mean exactly? Like...A landscaper? How would I find that kind of business in my area?

Subhanalah,

I live in the suburbs of Seattle so there are Arborists aplenty. What part of the world are you in? Municipalities tend to contract to have trees limbed near power lines, and such. Be creative! Parks Departments are also eager to dispose of their clippings. Good luck to ya.

you say local arborist. What does that mean exactly? Like...A landscaper? How would I find that kind of business in my area?
Tree trimming, tree removal, tree services...they go by different names. SOME are certified arborists that can deal with proper trimming and treating different problems with trees, others just cut them down. Either type often offer free wood chips here, most of the time they pile it out front of their business and put a free mulch sign out. I have tried using it as landscaping mulch, but the stuff that I have found is a lot of green wood (many varieties) with tons of debris mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom