what to put on chicken coop floor

x2 I had the same issue. Doing exactly what Ole Grey Mare suggested made a difference. I don't mind the litter from the coop being dragged or scratched from the coop into the run, since they are both on bare soil with deep litter over that. But it was a PITA to keep the litter from ending up on the yard from the people door. So we put a piece of wood there to hold it in, making the doorway a little higher than it was originally. Um, however, I should point out that it took me tripping about 5 times to finally remember that it was there and to pick my feet up higher when I gathered eggs. <sigh>

LOL - I still manage to hurt myself in the run from time to time. It's a hoop coop style run and there is plenty of clearance in the center, but step a few steps to either side and stand straight up you get a fast reminder of how tall you are (especially since I somehow manage to ONLY do it when standing directly in line with a hog ring!)
been there, done that...........and probably will again tomorrow,
hit.gif

I currently am doing the deep litter method. Having just gotten my coop built about 5 weeks ago, I'm really JUST getting a good layer going in the run. I haven't changed the bedding in the coop yet either, and no smell. I am getting quite a few feathers, I may need to go out tomorrow and 'flip it'

Can someone tell me what to use in my coop run for rain to avoid chickens in mud.
Improving drainage is what you need. Either make the run higher than surrounding ground or dig trenches around the run to divert runoff when it rains. Covering the run also helps tremendously to keep it dry, and you also have the advantage of improved predator protection.

Spreading a deep layer of dried leaves will help keep the surface of the run dry or you can use course construction sand.

I love using dead leaves in the run, coop and poop board. In my opinion the leaves keep down the smell better than any other bedding I have used in the coop.

What is the "deep litter " method for coops
A search on here will find you many topics on deep litter method. I do a version and it is one of the best things I have done. Long story short I started with a couple inch layer of wood chips when I first got my 9 hens. Every couple of weeks I rake up a couple bags of grass clippings after I mow or dried leaves from the ground and throw them in there. The chickens love scratching through leaves and grass. That stuff starts to break down along with the manure and will begin to compost. Last year was my first year with chickens and I started with them in February. I did this method until October at which time I had about 10 inches of "compost" in the coop. I took about 1/2 hour and shoveled it out onto my garden and started with a fresh layer so they have clean litter going into winter. I plan to do the same thing this winter and into the spring when I will change it again. I do try to put in a variety of either grass, leaves, and straw instead of using the same material all the time.

There are many methods of litter but I knew I was not the type of person to go out and clean my coop every couple of days if I had poop boards, sand/litter etc. The deep litter method is affective, it does not stink or cause issues that I have found, and it is hands off. I do the same thing in my run. Once it gets down to mud I throw in some grass, leaves or straw.

Back
Top Bottom