What to put on ground of chicken run?

Hate to break it to the people who love sand, but if you have mostly clay or subsoil (what modern builders leave behind!) you do not want to use sand. If you use sand, expect to always keep that area as a sand pit. When you move or you no longer keep chickens you or your new homeowners are going to be upset. Clay+sand+water= cement!!! Not the stuff you want a yard to consist of. I am assuming those of you who love the sand in a run don't have mostly clay soils. And one more bad thing about the sand, you don't want to use it in your garden. When you toss the poo to be composted in the garden that addition of sand will wreck your nice garden soil, again if you have mostly clay soil.

So, clay soil? I think you should say "NO" to sand! It maybe easy to maintain now...but it'll come back to haunt you.

I just started my run, the first two weeks were great. just dirt and bark but I am having a fly problem. Not sure what would make an easy cleanup because I think the bark is holding the poop and drawing the flys

Poop draws the flys. Use barn lime on the run. It does help but will not entirely cure the problem. If the run is small constant raking and cleanup is needed or some kind of non-mold growing mulch. I have a big run and sometimes still i have to put out lime in wet weather to keep the flys and smell away.

What does the lime do? I just recently built a coop with a run and we currently have straw in the coop. Which I am finding out that I am not very fond of. Right now there was grass in the run, but slowly is becoming dirt. What would be best to put down in the run and the coop ? And what would help with the flies and easy clean up? Thanks, I need all the input.

What does the lime do? I just recently built a coop with a run and we currently have straw in the coop. Which I am finding out that I am not very fond of. Right now there was grass in the run, but slowly is becoming dirt. What would be best to put down in the run and the coop ? And what would help with the flies and easy clean up? Thanks, I need all the input.

Hi
I have 6 hens. I live on LI,NY. My coop is 6x4 and i use sand and a DE mix in it with wood pine shavings. I love the sand. Its easy and a breeze to clean up. In the 24x16 foot run I have wood chips that I sprinkle with DE. I also will add leaves and grass clipping to the run. My hens free range all day with access to the run. I have not had any fly issues so far. Definitely try the sand and the DE!! Good luck.

My Oma used to throw grass clippings into the dirt run, right now, as mine are just chicks, we have long grass growing, but once they scratch it down a bit, I will toss the clippings in, in a pile, even now, When i throw a handful of dry clippings in on top of their shavings, and they have a blast spreading it out, and looking for seeds or bugs.

I have grass, at the moment, but when my chicks scratch it down I'll jam down to the beach and grab some sand.

Do you also use sand in your coop? Right now I'm using pine shavings, DE, and some hay.

Here's a quick tour:

We have clay loam soil here in Chicago area, and sand has been working well in my chicken run. Some people add sand to their garden beds around here to improve drainage. Certainly doesn't make it cement-like. We've had a very wet year so far, and the sand has been keeping the run floor from getting disgusting. Chickens are fine with it as well. I did try mulch the first year, but it was hard to rake out the droppings and it stayed soggy after rains. Might be different if my run was covered, though.

I am using sand in mine. Love how it rakes into a pile for cleanup so nicely! The husband is currently working on a "strainer" for me to reuse the sand and get rid of the waste and feathers!

Back
Top Bottom