What to put on open wound. Warning graphic pic

Hopefully you get some good responses, there are lots of seasoned animal keepers on here! The wound is going to take quite some time to heal, so you have the option of trying something for 2 days and then trying something else for 2 days. You should see some signs of healing with every bandage change. Good luck. Keep an eye out for any infection that could require antibiotic as well.

Blue-kote would be easier. I put it on his comb and wattles after I cleaned them up. But I seriously it is not recommended for deep wounds. Don’t believe me look it up!

What attacked him? I know its not really important, but wow. What did that?
Vetericyn may be a option, If you don't want blu-kote.

Last edited:
What attacked him? I know its not really important, but wow. What did that?
Vetericyn may be a option, If you don't want blu-kote.
I am not sure but I think it was a raccoon. I feel that his wattles and comb were bitten bc my rooster tried to fight the raccoon. But this is a pure guess.

Not Blukote, since it is for shallow scrapes and scratches. Use some saline, Betadine, Hibiclens (chlorhexidene,) or Vetericyn Wound Spray— probably the easiest to use twice a day. Those are better for deep wounds. Honey is also good. To coat the wound after cleansing, I would use plain Neosporin or Trip,e Antibiotic Ointment, if not using honey.

Thank-you Sublight! I do think he is a hero! Chickens aren’t chicken lol.
And thank-you Eggcessive! It’s great to know about other most cost effective products to use. I’m running low on novasan.
I clean the wound everyday. When I flushed it, a few minuscule pieces of white fat came out. Today I removed about a pea sized amount of dead tissue that I didn’t like the looks of. It was very stringy and greenish brown, barely attached. Then I used a gauze pads soaked in novasan to gently clean the area until the tissue looked healthy. Removing that tissue was terrible. Very gross. The hole seems so big but it is half the size it used to be. I started to get faint and had to stop for a bit. Then I used a gauze pads to dry the wound. It looked a lot better. Then I packed it with raw unpasteurized honey and put a gauze pad on it. I really hope this works. He is getting sick of me messing with him.
I’m fatigued. I’m placing a lot of hope on this honey. Hearing from all of you gives me strength to keep trying for him. His name is Red after the guy from “That 70’s Show”

Back
Top Bottom