What to put on open wound. Warning graphic pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wren, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Silkies rule Forever

Silkies rule Forever Songster

Jan 2, 2018
    Florida
    I agree, i had a hen that got attacked by a rooster and he ripped off her comb and the whole entire back of her neck i put honey on her and it healed then i put her back and he attacked her again he did it so bad that he killed her. But honey is great!

Beer can and wren like this.
  2. wren

wren Songster

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Sorry about you hen. It’s good to hear that I’m doing the right thing by not using blu-kote. It’s a good product just not for this. Now if I can keep bugs off him and keep him alive we will be set.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    @wren you are going to be in the kitchen cooking meals for your boy daily, I see it, your human family smells you cooking scrambled eggs and oatmeal and comes in for breakfast as you set the plate down on the floor for your chicken!

4. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I think it needs to be cleaned out like casportpony said.
    And don't knock the honey, I've always wanted to give it a try, just always forget about it.

I always recommend Lambert Kay EMT gel, you can get it at TSC. I've used it on dogs, on chickens.
    I've seen it work amazing wonders on bad wounds, like no skin just meat wounds. I disinfect with Povidone-iodine/Betadine and then apply the EMT gel.
    They use it on man and beast and birds, reptiles.

"A completely natural collagen product that provides the building block matrix for new cell growth. Collagen is the building block for new cell growth. Collagen is a fibrous protein found in connective tissue, muscles, skin, bone, ligaments and cartilage. EMT Gel supplies nutritive protein directly to the wound site.
    • Reduces bleeding
    • Reduces pain
    • Soothes and deodorizes
    • Is safe, non-toxic and non-sensitizing "

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Update? How is this guy doing? It's been a few days, which can make a huge difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: