What to put on open wound. Warning graphic pic

Not Blukote, since it is for shallow scrapes and scratches. Use some saline, Betadine, Hibiclens (chlorhexidene,) or Vetericyn Wound Spray— probably the easiest to use twice a day. Those are better for deep wounds. Honey is also good. To coat the wound after cleansing, I would use plain Neosporin or Trip,e Antibiotic Ointment, if not using honey.
I agree, i had a hen that got attacked by a rooster and he ripped off her comb and the whole entire back of her neck i put honey on her and it healed then i put her back and he attacked her again he did it so bad that he killed her. But honey is great!

Sorry about you hen. It’s good to hear that I’m doing the right thing by not using blu-kote. It’s a good product just not for this. Now if I can keep bugs off him and keep him alive we will be set.

@wren you are going to be in the kitchen cooking meals for your boy daily, I see it, your human family smells you cooking scrambled eggs and oatmeal and comes in for breakfast as you set the plate down on the floor for your chicken!

I think it needs to be cleaned out like casportpony said.
And don't knock the honey, I've always wanted to give it a try, just always forget about it.

I always recommend Lambert Kay EMT gel, you can get it at TSC. I've used it on dogs, on chickens.
I've seen it work amazing wonders on bad wounds, like no skin just meat wounds. I disinfect with Povidone-iodine/Betadine and then apply the EMT gel.
They use it on man and beast and birds, reptiles.

"A completely natural collagen product that provides the building block matrix for new cell growth. Collagen is the building block for new cell growth. Collagen is a fibrous protein found in connective tissue, muscles, skin, bone, ligaments and cartilage. EMT Gel supplies nutritive protein directly to the wound site.
  • Reduces bleeding
  • Reduces pain
  • Soothes and deodorizes
  • Is safe, non-toxic and non-sensitizing "

Don't panic and keep an open mind. Long story short, my dog almost lost her leg to infection following surgery. She lost skin down to the bone. She lost all her pads and you could see ligaments etc. inside. It was as bad as it gets. I was seeing 2 vets for bandage changes (depending on day of week and clinic etc.) and they had different ways of dealing with the same issue, including some new fancy types of dressing for open wounds. What worked the best as a dressing was honey. Any honey will do, but raw, unfiltered, organic honey would be best. (you can read up online, often used for burn patients and the types of injuries/skin loss that cannot just be stitched back together) I'm not 100% sure how it works, I do know that it changes the PH in the wound environment. I do know that it has properties that prevent bad bacteria growth and promote growth of good new healthy tissue. It also keeps things from drying out too much. Honey on a nonstick gauze pad, enough to cover the whole area, change pad daily (as it heals more, bandage changes can be less often, but still no less than every 3 days). Some dead tissue will come away with bandage changes, but if tissue left behind has pink/red edges it still is health and has blood supply. Good luck.
Oh my goodness I just found this post! (YEARS after the thread!)
Yes, HONEY! Specifically Manuka honey with a K factor of 16 or more. The K factor is the amount of pollen found in the honey). I chatted with an online bird veterinarian about my chicken who is missing some thigh skin, and she told me this will heal the wound almost 4X faster than antibiotic ointment. It keeps the wound moist and provides antibacterial properties. I researched it and found pictures of open wounds on various animals treated with or without Manuka honey and those treated with the honey healed significantly faster! My hen has been quarantined for a week or so and no sign of new skin growth yet, but also no infection and she is eating and drinking normally. She is not laying, but that is due to molting as well as injury.
Hope this helps someone!

Don't panic and keep an open mind. Long story short, my dog almost lost her leg to infection following surgery. She lost skin down to the bone. She lost all her pads and you could see ligaments etc. inside. It was as bad as it gets. I was seeing 2 vets for bandage changes (depending on day of week and clinic etc.) and they had different ways of dealing with the same issue, including some new fancy types of dressing for open wounds. What worked the best as a dressing was honey. Any honey will do, but raw, unfiltered, organic honey would be best. (you can read up online, often used for burn patients and the types of injuries/skin loss that cannot just be stitched back together) I'm not 100% sure how it works, I do know that it changes the PH in the wound environment. I do know that it has properties that prevent bad bacteria growth and promote growth of good new healthy tissue. It also keeps things from drying out too much. Honey on a nonstick gauze pad, enough to cover the whole area, change pad daily (as it heals more, bandage changes can be less often, but still no less than every 3 days). Some dead tissue will come away with bandage changes, but if tissue left behind has pink/red edges it still is health and has blood supply. Good luck.
Now I’m curious because my dog is having the same problem, got a bad fungal infection and it’s hit him hard now and the worst it can be, I can’t see ligaments yet but it’s rotting out but still healthy inside. The vet didn’t say anything about dressing it or wrapping it up to leave it alone and I water him down in a shower and used a little bit of some blue kote. I think I’m going to stop now just was using it for mostly the outside but man his leg got bad. I’m thinking I should seek out another vet and get him started on dressing. Just nasty deep open wounds. Been giving him antibiotics, an anti fungal pill and steroids. Any positive feed back could help me out please, it’s hit us so awkwardly and fast.

Oh my goodness I just found this post! (YEARS after the thread!)
Yes, HONEY! Specifically Manuka honey with a K factor of 16 or more. The K factor is the amount of pollen found in the honey). I chatted with an online bird veterinarian about my chicken who is missing some thigh skin, and she told me this will heal the wound almost 4X faster than antibiotic ointment. It keeps the wound moist and provides antibacterial properties. I researched it and found pictures of open wounds on various animals treated with or without Manuka honey and those treated with the honey healed significantly faster! My hen has been quarantined for a week or so and no sign of new skin growth yet, but also no infection and she is eating and drinking normally. She is not laying, but that is due to molting as well as injury.
Hope this helps someone!
Should I seek a different vet now and get my dog on this dressing. I appreciate you and glad I seen this. My dog is suffering from a bad fungi disease and his skin is starting to decay away and probably at its worst. Maybe could be worse but I want him to heal up. I got him on antibiotics, an antifungal pill and steroids and the vet didn't mention anything about dressing it. They say if there's no good progress they will have to amputate it. I dont want that to happen. They hit me with a price for getting it amputated, said a few words and got his pills and sent me on my way. I just want the best for him and I know this is healable just want whats best. Please get back to me. I will be getting him to another vet tomorrow or Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom