What to put under shavings in coop

huntersmoon

Songster
14 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Hi

We have just finished building our permanent coop, and as it's an open air coop I poured cement footings all around, plus the slab under the roost. As you might be able to see in the photo, the area of the raw ground in the coop is about 10" below the footings. I don't want to add 10" of shavings - would you recommend gravel, dirt, decomposed granite, etc as a base layer to level the ground a bit before adding shavings?

Thanks
Shannon

My coop is a lot like that, the floor anyway. My footings have 8" block on top of them and the walls starts on top of the block. I plan on deep litter and expect to fill it up with wood chips, leafs and whatever else. My plan is to start out with 4-5" of chips under the roost and keep adding, raking it into the rest of the area as it gets thick. I see nothing wrong with filling that 10" with deep litter I bet it will take at least a year to fill it up.

Good luck

Gary

PS, I have had some very experienced people on here who wish they had a dirt floor!

G

PSSS I guess if I lived in a wet climate I might put some gravel down first for drainage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom