What to start and feed meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    They are not cx, so since they are broilers and most of the advice is directed at cx feeding I want to make sure I have it right. Do everyone start on non-medicated chick starter? Anyone use medicated on meaties? W/ the chick starter to you mix meat bird or flock raiser? How long to feed a starter. Do you mix scratch with it?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Since I had DP birds and had pullets in with them I started them out on med chick starter. I just went through 1 bag. The I put them on grower feed till my pullets got to be about 17 - 18 weeks olds and the they all ate laying pellets. I will say that I will prob get a higher protein feed the next time I do this!!

ETA: I just treated them like the rest of my flock and gave them BOSS & scratch all together!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I've had a horrible time trying to get flock raiser and didn't want to do the medicated chick starter, so I've been feeding game
    bird starter.

4. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    We use the turkey and gamebird starter and have had wonderful results with it.

5. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I use med chick starter for about 1 1/2 weeks (one bag) and then switch to Nutrena Meat Bird until they are finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by