What to use as scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flockoffour, Oct 24, 2012.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Hi I wanted to get something for my hens to scratch at since they don't have much acess to free range right now, as the rainy season has started. I'm not going to use very much of it, just as a treat here and there. I don't know whether to use 'scratch feed' or if my chickens would prefer corn, oats, barley, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. flockoffour

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    I'm pretty sure I will use layena scratch grains, but is there something that is better? Thanks

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Scratch feed is a mix of grains, and my chickens really like it. Cracked corn is another option. I also pick weeds for my chickens as a treat to make up for when they don't get much free range time. Layena is a good choice.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think that would should be just fine. I use an organic scratch from my one feed mill, it's a custom blend done for them. I toss a couple handfuls into the girls pen each day for them to eat and find/peck and scratch lol

5. flockoffour

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks for the info!

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I buy the whole deer corn. A 40lb bag purchased at the start of winter lasts me about a year. In my opinion, whole corn is far superior to cracked corn, as oxidation causes it to lose what little nutritive value it has, as soon as it is cracked.

7. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I make my own scratch, that way I make it in bulk. I'll get cracked corn, boss, flax and millet from the local mill and mix it all together and every few days I'll give the girls a nice treat.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The Layena Scratch Grains is a really nice product. Nicer by far than the stuff my local feed mill mixes up, but also quite a bit more expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by