What To Use For A Duck Pond And How To Keep It Clean??????

This is all great. I'm trying to find a solution and avoid using plastic. Right now I have kiddie pools which I move around. If I have to I may try the 1/2 gallon drum. It would be deeper, much easier to empty and last longer. I wish I could find some more natural substance that is safe with a big old drainage hole in the bottom that I could open and just hose out the pond and scrub it. I only have two miniature Australian Spotteds and one Pekin. I may get one or two more miniatures but no more. I've been looking at large planters but so far none with drainage. But what about bacteria? I've never thought about that ... just about the algae in the warm weather.

This is all great. I'm trying to find a solution and avoid using plastic. Right now I have kiddie pools which I move around. If I have to I may try the 1/2 gallon drum. It would be deeper, much easier to empty and last longer. I wish I could find some more natural substance that is safe with a big old drainage hole in the bottom that I could open and just hose out the pond and scrub it. I only have two miniature Australian Spotteds and one Pekin. I may get one or two more miniatures but no more. I've been looking at large planters but so far none with drainage. But what about bacteria? I've never thought about that ... just about the algae in the warm weather.
Have you thought about using a old bath tub and putting a ball valve on the pipe from the drain.

The bathtub did seem too large and unwieldy at first but you are right. It does have that nifty drain at the bottom. And they are easy to clean. Thanks, now I feel I have a few good options!

This topic isn't rocket since by any stretch of the imagination. I used an old quickset swimming pool (You know the kind with the inflatable ring) and cut out the floor to use as a liner. Dig a hole at least 6X8 to make it worth the effort. A 10X12 pond is better and remember the larger the pond "The easier it is to keep clean" just like a fish tank. You can use the old pool filter from a quickset pool to both filter the water and provide a waterfall. These filters with the pleated filter elements need to be cleaned daily. Place some rocks around the perimeter to hold the liner in place and there you go.... duck pond

I have took over a pond on my allotment in the middle is a sump it is about 9 ft long 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep how long would it take to fill up with waste and duck poop and how could I get the duck poop out of the pond

I have took over a pond on my allotment in the middle is a sump it is about 9 ft long 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep how long would it take to fill up with waste and duck poop and how could I get the duck poop out of the pond
Depends on how many ducks. I have 5 ducks in a 6 x 8 pond and the poo was too much for the quickset pool filter. This was the solution for me.

1- I bought a waterfall PCV bucket/filter that pulls water from the bottom of the pond where the poo settles.
2- The pump sucks in the poo and sends it through the waterfall filter.
3- Once a week I stop the pump and detach the supply hose from the back of the waterfall filter.... all the mucky poo mud comes out the bottom of the filter and I use the garden hose to backwash it.

This has worked well for me now. The water is clear and the ducks seem to love the pond 10x more.

Waterfall Filter $45.00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024EFZAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filter Media:
$12.88 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFIUU74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filter Pump:
$99.00 https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Pond-W..._rd_wg=gZhBU&refRID=67YQF0ZDY774JHYFFWFG&th=1

Good luck and keep us in the loop :) QUACK!!!

We use a livestock water tank, 50 gallon size for our ducks, but they come larger. To clean it, we have an electric pump that connects to a hose and we pump the waste out beyond our yard. We just pop it in when we need it. It doesn't take long and it works like a charm.
What kind of pump do you have??

Back
Top Bottom