1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to use for cleaning wounds on comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Godiva, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have a welsummer cockerel that has been somewhat beaten up by another cockerel (buff orpington!?) and he has a nasty looking slash in his comb. I am not sure of what the best products are for cleaning and disinfecting this.... never really doctored birds... Can I use peroxide? I have him on his own so it doesn't get messed with by the other birds but I think it may need some kind of ointment too... any recommendations? I would prefer herbal type stuff if at all possible but am open to using whatever is needed to get him healed up. Thanks

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You can clean it with hydrogen peroxide and water. And putting an antibiotic ointment on the comb. I dont know of any natural ointment.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's really not that big, a simple rinse and squirt with blue kote or some plain neosporin would probably be fine. Be careful with herbal stuff not meant for animals/birds that can be used for humans. There are a number of things we can tolerate just fine but can be toxic to animals, especially birds.

4. cath

cath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    South Wales, UK
    what about a bit of tea tree oil cream?

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've heard mixed things about tea tree oil and chickens. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can fill us in.

Petroleum jelly ("Vaseline") is a good protectant for the comb. You might try rubbing a little of that all over the comb, after cleaning up the wound and using a little peroxide. It might keep the bugs out of the wound. Be careful not to let any of the medications dribble into his eyes.

You might want to wrap the bird in a towel before cleaning him just to keep his wings and feet still. If you have someone to help you hold him steady, that would be good, too. That way, you can have your hands free to work on his wound.

Chickens have been known to peck at wounds they see on each other, making them worse and worse. You may want to isolate him from the others (especially the other cockerel), until his wound is healed.

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm. If it's a small wound, and he is in a clean, dry, space by himself, I would be inclined to wash it with some mild soap and water. Then just let the wound close up on it's own.

Also, yucca root has an antiseptic quality, and I doubt it would hurt a chicken. I've seen them scratch around the base of a yucca.

A little paste made with baking soda and water, if the wound is big enough to ooze.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I use Betadine instead of peroxide as it doesn't harm the tissue. Cut the betadine to half strength with water and daub on the comb with a q-tip, ditto with the Plain Neosporin.

During the winter when our roo's comb doesn't hold up to the girl's occasional picking, and starts to bleed, we use a couple drops of tea tree oil (mostly to cut the thickness of the pine tar) mixed with pine tar (both must taste incredibly nasty) no more picking, heals fast and it takes very little which is a good thing because I wouldn't want it melting down into his eyes (anyone get tea tree oil shampoo in the eyes? ouch).

Good luck!

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:Teatree oil is NOT to be used on any open wounds.
    Betadine (instead of the triple antibiotic cream like neosporin) will help dry it up.
    Keep the bird separate until fully healed ( until all traces of the wound are gone)
    as the other birds will simply re-peck at it if given the chance.

9. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I separated him from the others and it is healing up nicely though now his comb has a definite turn to the one side. SInce I am not going to show him that won't be a problem though...

10. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    What I do is clean the wound with warm water and a SMALL amount of peroxide.

If it is a decent sized wound, I usually put some Neosporin or Vaseline on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by