What to use to clean rabbits ears

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi. My one year old rabbit has some ear wax build up right at the bottom of her ear, and I can not reach it and I was not sure if I could use tweezers to get it out. I do not want to hurt her. And I cant find anything online or in stores to get for rabbits ears. So I was wondering what you use and how you do it. Thanks

The reason why you can't find any kits to clean small animal ears online or in stores is probably because it's not meant to be done by the average owner. Since rabbits are so fragile, I think that if she has a build-up that's causing problems, it would be best to see a vet instead of injuring the ear even more. Best of luck!

Hi. My one year old rabbit has some ear wax build up right at the bottom of her ear, and I can not reach it and I was not sure if I could use tweezers to get it out. I do not want to hurt her. And I cant find anything online or in stores to get for rabbits ears. So I was wondering what you use and how you do it. Thanks
Anything made for cats should work. Is it wax or ear mites?

The reason why you can't find any kits to clean small animal ears online or in stores is probably because it's not meant to be done by the average owner. Since rabbits are so fragile, I think that if she has a build-up that's causing problems, it would be best to see a vet instead of injuring the ear even more. Best of luck!
It is more likely lack of demand than anything else. I can't see how a rabbit's ears are any more fragile than those of a cat or dog. That said, a wax buildup sounds a lot like ear mites.

It is more likely lack of demand than anything else. I can't see how a rabbit's ears are any more fragile than those of a cat or dog. That said, a wax buildup sounds a lot like ear mites.

Since a rabbit is so small, it's much easier to over-insert any cleaning tool, and they are more likely (usually) to twitch than other animals.

Thanks. I'm not sure what mite in the ear looks like. She has dark ear wax right at the bottom of her ear in both ears. And it looks crusty

Ok so I found out she has ear mites:idunno I did not really know what to do about it but I read online that tea tree oil and coconut oil could help, so I mix I tbsp of coconut oil with two drops of 100% tea tree oil and put a little in her ear yesterday and once today. It seems to be working and ifs getting all the crusty stuff but I just wanted to make sure I am doing it right and not messing her ear up. :fl I also cleaned her whole cage with a mix of vinegar and water and changed her bedding. Anything I'm doing wrong or anything else I should be doing.

Back
Top Bottom