What tomato varieties are you growing?

Has anybody planted Black Krim? It is listed as heat tolerant by seed companies... I think of all the tomatoes, the heritage blacks are my favorites for flavor...
I have grown them, they are not as flavorful to me as the 'Black Russian' but they do produce more fruit. Our summers get pretty hot here, sometimes up in to the 100's and the toms do slow down, but I find that they also get much sweeter. Black Russian is a big pleated slicer that I have enjoyed for many years. If you are into the heirloom darks, I highly recommend the Russian.

I grow Black Krim--love them! I'll have to try Black Russian. I can't grow German Johnson--tried last year and it was too hot for them right away. Never got a fruit from the five plants. Waste of valuable real estate.

some type of tomato currants that my wife ordered...
I had never heard of these until I read your post. I would be very interested to know how they turn out for you so please post when you and your wife have tasted and rated them. Are the other varieties that you are growing new to you or do you have history with them? If so, please write about why you like them, growing habit, taste etc.

I had never heard of these until I read your post. I would be very interested to know how they turn out for you so please post when you and your wife have tasted and rated them. Are the other varieties that you are growing new to you or do you have history with them? If so, please write about why you like them, growing habit, taste etc.
All of our tomatoes are really behind this year, so we haven’t gotten much out of them yet, but soon.

The Nyagous are a deep brown to black colored baseball sized tomato that grows about 6-8 per truss. They are super flavorful. Literally the best tomato I’ve ever had. They are indeterminate and will grow as big as a house if you let them. We have 16 of them in now.

San Marzano is your heirloom variety Italian Roma type paste tomato. This is our first year growing them.

The others are all first year growing them. I’m really hoping for the grape tomato to come out good. The hog heart is a hybrid paste tomato.

I’ll post an update when we see what we end up with. This has been a really bad year for our garden.

I grow Black Krim--love them! I'll have to try Black Russian. I can't grow German Johnson--tried last year and it was too hot for them right away. Never got a fruit from the five plants. Waste of valuable real estate.
Try Nyagous from Seed Savers Exchange. They’re really dark brown to black and they are the best tomato I’ve ever had.

I will try Nyagous next year, it sounds like one I would like. I cannot grow San Marzano here. Of all the tomatoes I grow, and I grow a lot, this is the only one that gets Blossom End rot, every single time. I grow standard Roma (from my own seed) and it does just fine.

Thanks for the invite Oregonkat :).

I start all my tomatoes from seed, and am growing 30 plants (20 different varieties) this year.

Some of my favourites, which I'm growing this season are:

Blush (a yellow/pink elongated cherry)
Maglia Rosa Pink and green " compact, so great for a 3 gallon container
Little Lucky (Brandywine is a parent)
Margaret Curtain (a yummy black)
Rose (a delicious, juicy pink)

I am also growing Early Annie which turned out to be a delicious cross. It's a compact plant to grow in a container, and I am growing 8 of plants so that I can choose the best one to advance. Flavour is wonderful. Although they started out as large red cherries, they are getting bigger...…

Linda

It has been pretty hot here for an extended period of time and today I picked and ate a cherry tomato (Sungold) that tasted somewhat fermented and faintly like alcohol, similar to wine with a little touch of beer flavor in there... It was pretty good, actually! Anyone here ever make cherry tomato wine? Because I know if I have thought of it, someone, somewhere has probably done it...

Back
Top Bottom