What treat did your chickies get today?

Handful of good-quality wild birdseed: BOSS, safflower and sunflower hearts, not those cheap-end mixes, which they also like. I wanted a high-fat, high-protein seed mix for winter setting in. Plus, it makes their feathers shiny.
big_smile.png

Tell me about the BOSS. I have seen a bag of it in our feed store. Is it really good for them? Do you give it everyday? It is kind of expensive.

Tell me about the BOSS. I have seen a bag of it in our feed store. Is it really good for them? Do you give it everyday? It is kind of expensive.
My husband works for a home improvement place. He has the guys save him the broken bags, which we get really cheap. Some of the more savvy customers ask if there are broken bags at a discount. Works for bags of mulch, sand, etc. also.

Well my son manages the feed store so I do get a little bit of a discount but I just want to know how good it is for them and would I feed it to them everyday? My girls are molting like crazy right now.

I wouldn't let them gorge on it. Mine get a handful every day, two if I'm generous. The oil makes their feathers so shiny, and there's protein in the seed, too. Probably helps keep them warm in winter. I'm gonna try cooking crimped oats for them next for warmth.

High-quality mixed seeds, reconstituted powdered milk.

In the brooder, dried mealworms, same seed mix and a roach I knocked off the top.

Quote:
I don't know if anyone ever answered your question. i see people that say that they fed their chickens popped popcorn. They seem to be able to eat about anything. They eat grains with rough husks on them and some pretty big hard bugs. I don't think they will have a problem with popcorn.

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about acorns being poisonous. I know that pigs love the. The highly prized hams from Spain are from pigs fattened on acorns. People have also eaten acorns for centuries. Some are bitter and others are sweet. Goats will eat anything eapecially if you prize it and don't want them to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom