What treat did your chickies get today?

Do you feed potato peels often? I'm new at chickens but keep reading that potatoes are bad for them.

From what I've researched here and other places the potato skins are only poisonous when they are green. I am careful not to feed them the green ones. Otherwise, they have been eating them since they were young without any adverse effects.

From what I've researched here and other places the potato skins are only poisonous when they are green. I am careful not to feed them the green ones. Otherwise, they have been eating them since they were young without any adverse effects.

Oh, excellent! My husband has fried potatoes every weekend with breakfast. Now I have a better use for the peels than the garbage. What about leftover potatoes? We fry them in olive oil.

Oh, excellent! My husband has fried potatoes every weekend with breakfast. Now I have a better use for the peels than the garbage. What about leftover potatoes? We fry them in olive oil.

The only potatoes that are not safe for them to have are the green peelings, to my understanding. There is probably more info on BYC somewhere. Type "potatoes as treats" in the search or something similar. My chickens love leftover mashed potatoes. It's messy but fun to watch!

Today Stinky my brown leghorn hen got a small portion of a Colby jack and turkey sub sandwich around dinner time with her layer feed and in the morning she got oatmeal with watermelon and her layer feed. She also got tossed a couple of meal worms threw the day.
She is a pretty spoiled happy bird! :p

Back
Top Bottom