What treat did your chickies get today?

Not sure if it was a treat or a toy- gave my flock of 4 almost 7 week olds 2 scoops from the bottom of the compost pile! Lots of little wiggly things in there! The kicked it all around and had a great time "hunting"! Too young to let them free range right now- we have had a hawk trying to get to them through the hardware cloth. Flew right into it!

My girls got steak and salad scraps. They FOUGHT over the steak. It's the first time I've given them meat scraps. I was surprised at how much they love it. Guess I've gotta change my thinking but the dogs won't be happy
idunno.gif

Looks similar to Smartweed or Lady's Thumb, but you may want to research it to make sure.

I have a lot of Lady's Thumb and pull some of it occasionally for my flock.  If you free range it's usually not a huge problem because they will pick at this, that and the other. If they rely on their human for bugs, weeds, veggies, etc., then a variety is best. I usually pull/clip a lot of different weeds/vegetation for mine, but I've invested in research/plant id time to make sure of what I am giving to them. 

I put up corn today.....so corn shucks, some corn worms and of course...fresh corn:p

It looks like ladies thumb but there is no "thumb print" on the leaves. I was thinking smart weed too. Mine are not free range. Always afraid I'm going to give them dangerous vegetation. We live in the woods. They had corn, both cooked and raw on the cob. Didn't give them the shucks. I thought about it but wasn't sure. I have some more to shuck, so this time I'll save it for them. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to comment. I'm pretty new at this
1f609.png

It looks like ladies thumb but there is no "thumb print" on the leaves. I was thinking smart weed too. Mine are not free range. Always afraid I'm going to give them dangerous vegetation. We live in the woods. They had corn, both cooked and raw on the cob. Didn't give them the shucks. I thought about it but wasn't sure. I have some more to shuck, so this time I'll save it for them. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to comment. I'm pretty new at this
1f609.png

I pull a large variety of weeds. If you have a field guide or you can look online at "edible" plants, you may find a lot of stuff you can add here and there. Not everything I give they eat, but they love digging through the weeds to find tiny critters and just hunt and peck. I give lamb's quarters, dandelion, clover, plantain, ragweed, pigweed (wild amaranth) those types of thing. I only have 7 chickens, so there are grasses that I give as well, but I use grass clippers to cut it in very small pieces (I don't want impacted crops) - chickens in a run can't always "nip" small pieces like they may do in a free range setting. I have a suet basket that I can load up with kale/greens for them to pick at, they also like a bundle of kale hung, as well as hanging apple, cabbage, bamboo branches etc., mine love to have things hung up, but I have done this since they were about 3wks old, so they expect something to be hung several times a week. They like to peck at squashes, pumpkin, cantaloupe, watermelon. tomatoes- anything from the garden - you get my drift
smile.png
Mine also love to dig through pine needles, so I rake some of those up for them. I would only use leaves/pine needles from your own property or source it where you know there have been no chemicals applied. In fall, I bag as many pine needles as I can so I have some to dump in the run for them to dig through in the winter -keeps them busy and smells nice too. Also I know I mentioned bamboo, but I mainly use it in winter-it's usually green all winter, so a bundle hung up when it's cold gives them something to mess with too.

@MeepBeep
I'll try them with bananas again soon.... we're in Texas and the heat is rough, I should've waited until 1-2 pm to give them COLD bananas. Lol

I normally peel bananas, place it in a feeder bowls and sprinkle with crumbles. They go at it like it's frozen delight coated with crispy rice
1f633.png

I pull a large variety of weeds. If you have a field guide or you can look online at "edible" plants, you may find a lot of stuff you can add here and there. Not everything I give they eat, but they love digging through the weeds to find tiny critters and just hunt and peck.  I give lamb's quarters, dandelion, clover, plantain, ragweed, pigweed (wild amaranth) those types of thing. I only have 7 chickens, so there are grasses that I give as well, but I use grass clippers to cut it in very small pieces (I don't want impacted crops) - chickens in a run can't always "nip" small pieces like they may do in a free range setting. I have a suet basket that I can load up with kale/greens for them to pick at, they also like a bundle of kale hung, as well as hanging apple, cabbage, bamboo branches etc., mine love to have things hung up, but I have done this since they were about 3wks old, so they expect something to be hung several times a week.  They like to peck at squashes, pumpkin, cantaloupe, watermelon. tomatoes- anything from the garden - you get my drift:)   Mine also love to dig through pine needles, so I rake some of those up for them. I would only use leaves/pine needles from your own property or source it where you know there have been no chemicals applied. In fall, I  bag as many pine needles as I can so I have some to dump in the run for them to dig through in the winter -keeps them busy and smells nice too.  Also I know I mentioned bamboo, but I mainly use it in winter-it's usually green all winter, so a bundle hung up when it's cold gives them something to mess with too.

Well the chickens struck out today... I had two banana boxes full of apricots, but after peeling all the PLU stickers off pitting them all and rinsing them all (a couple hour job), I decided they would be put to better use making some apricot wine/brandy... Ran them through a juicer and ended up with about 5 gallons of pulpy apricot juice, froze half of it and the rest just got the yeast pinched into it ;)

The chickens did get about 15 lbs of mushrooms, and the left over pulp from the juicer so they were not left empty handed...

Back
Top Bottom